Friday, October 20, 2017

MONSTERING THE TRAIL MIX

It's no secret that I am addicted to Target's Monster Trail Mix.

While visiting with my son's family in North Carolina, we make a stop at Target to get a few items.  I immediately gravitate toward the snack aisle and the Monster Trail Mix.  I could get a huge tin of the stuff, or I can get small, individual packets in a large bag.  My son claims he is not a fan of Monster Trail Mix (imagine my horror!), so I decide against the giant tub of it and settle for the packets.  After all, I should be able to eat some of it on the plane home, right?

Wrong.  I forget two important things. 

First of all, the TSA agents at Logan Airport (from where I depart) demand that I declare all food, ALL food, ALL FOOD!!!!!! as I pass through security.  I don't have any food as I know they will make me declare (and hand over) all food, ALL food, ALL FOOD!!!! I assume that Charlotte-Douglas Airport will insist on grabbing my snacks and food, as well.

Second of all, Monster Trail Mix has peanuts in it.  If I open a bag on the plane, I could potentially kill someone.

However, there is NO WAY I am leaving Monster Trail Mix behind, so I devise a plan.

The first thing I do is hide two packets of Monster Trail Mix in my pocketbook.  I'll eat it at the airport, if necessary.  Then, I hide a couple of packets in my luggage.  I am TSA pre-check, and I've yet to have my suitcase torn apart, even by a dog that may or may not smell Monster Trail Mix.

The last thing I do is put the remaining packets in a small Target bag, along with the paper receipt, and put that bag inside my carry-on personal item, which is a canvas bag about the size of a cloth grocery bag.  If anyone wants to know about my food, that person may take the bag out and see two or three snack-sized baggies of Monster Trail Mix.  Even if those get confiscated, I have multiple more packets hidden amongst my puzzle books and unmentionables.

I am pleased to report that ALL of the Monster Trail Mix makes it back to Boston ... but, not all of it makes it officially home.  Yup; I eat a packet, maybe even two, on my twenty-minute ride home from Logan airport.

Dear TSA security: My stomach thanks you!