Tuesday, October 17, 2017

TUMBLING TEMPS

This morning when I leave for work, it is warm and breezy.  According to my phone, it is 74 degrees outside.  According to my car, it is 68 degrees.  Either way, it's mighty warm for this time of year.  But, during the workday, something happens.  By the time I leave work at 3:30 p.m., it's chilly -- somewhere in the vicinity of 54 degrees.

It feels great.

We are slated to have one chilly day on Tuesday, and then the temperatures will soar into the mid-to-high seventies over the next several days.  I'm not taking my air conditioners out just yet.  It's still too early.

Tonight, though, I turn on the heat for a few minutes, just to make sure the furnace is going to kick on when necessary.  The morning is slated to be about 34 degrees, and I will probably kick on the heat for a short time again when I get out of bed ... after sleeping in the ice chamber of a room that includes an open window and a fan.

Ah, the cool weather -- here for a second then gone again as summer takes one final swing at all of us.

I know, I know.  Part way through the fall, I'll be wishing for winter.  Halfway through the winter, I'll be wishing for spring.  Halfway through spring, I'll be begging for summer.  It's a mad cycle that continues on and on.

It's this cycle that drives the New England Brain.  It's the cycle that allows us to blast the heat in the morning and crank on the a/c in the afternoon without ever missing a single beat.