Friday, October 27, 2017

THEME DAYS AT WORK

Red Ribbon Week is an anti-drug theme week designed to raise awareness and also to foster community spirit at our school.  I wear a flowery shirt with brightly colored capris for Tropical "Lei Off Drugs" Day.  Two other theme days we've had so far involve a space theme and dressing like a decade.

I don't own any space-type stuff.  I suppose I could've gotten a hat, suit coat, a super-long scarf, and pretended I was Tom Baker's Dr. Who ... except that I have always been more of a Red Dwarf fan and Farscape fan.  Instead, I take two old glow-in-the-dark space satellite decorations right off the wall and make a headband.  Add in a silver shirt, gray pants, some silver cloth clogs, and I have Theme Day costume #2.

For Decades Day, I channel my inner Jackie O.  Of course, I go old school: pencil skirt, 3/4 sleeve sweater, pillbox hat, white gloves, pearls, cat glasses; very Jackie Kennedy before that whole crawling across the trunk fiasco in Dallas.  The somewhat horrifying part of this ensemble is that only the accessories are costume.  The clothing is stuff I wear on an everyday basis.

Tomorrow is Superhero Day.  This is a tough one because I am not into superheroes.  I go to the store in search of my favorite superhero, except, of course, that I've no idea what I'm doing and I am beholden to none.  I suppose I could say that I liked Green Hornet when I was a kid, except that he rarely took out any bad guys; it was always Kato (who was Bruce Lee).  I was madly enamored with Kato.

I spend a good ten to fifteen minutes in the store, circling the table of superhero gear.  There's one more place to look, though: the back wall display.  While perusing the possibilities, I come across a perfect shirt, a shirt to which I can relate, a shirt with true superheroes on it.

So, folks, I don't remember what tomorrow's official tagline is.  I just know it's Superhero Day, and I will have the best superheroes of all.  Everyone else can be Batman, Superman, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, and anyone else Marvel-iscious.  I will proudly sport my new superheroes t-shirt: Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers.