Saturday, October 21, 2017

LYING ABOUT GRADING THE TESTS

I lied, okay?  Sometimes I am just too tired to tell the truth. When the students ask me, "Did you grade the tests yet?" I answer them with excuses:

The last test just came in on Tuesday.
I've gotten through most of them, but the writing portion is taking time.
You'll get the grades back in a day or two.
Almost done.

The truth of it is -- I haven't started correcting the tests yet.  After seven days, I have not even had a moment to sit down and look at the tests.  Well, see, now I'm lying again.  As of school today, I had not graded any of the tests.  As of Friday evening, the objective portion of about 100 tests is close to being finished.  I am almost to grading the final section (the writing portion) of the test. Almost. But, it's reasonably late, so they won't get done.  Yet again.

I'm so sorry.  Not only is work a total shit-storm, but I have a life outside those walls.  Yes, really. A LIFE.

Students don't believe that teachers have lives outside of the classroom.  This can be proven by all the times we run into our students in public and they say things like, "You drink the same gin as my father," and "You buy groceries?!?!" and, of course, my personal favorite, "Old people like you should NOT wear bathing suits unless it's pitch-dark outside."

Anyway, after some sleep I should be able to tackle the writing portion.  I don't know, though.  It IS the weekend.  Maybe I'm lying again.