Saturday, October 14, 2017

PAYING MYSELF TO DE-CLUTTER

During the summer, in the course of de-cluttering my life, I came across a heavy winter coat that I have not worn since a winter outdoor college lacrosse game (my son's game, not mine) two years ago.  I tried it on to see if it still fit; it did.  I reached into the pocket and found $35 cash.

Score.

Today for school, I am debating what to wear.  Now that my tiny closets are less cluttered and most of my clothes are on accessible racks, it's super-easy to pick out outfits.  It's a little cooler today, so I'm thinking maybe a jumper with boots.  But, as I stall and hem and haw, I realize that time is getting away from me.

Instead of dressing for success, I reach for a pair of cargo pants that I haven't worn since last spring.  They're clean, look pressed, and I can throw on some shoes without socks.  Life is good.  Best of all, the pants still fit.  This is an awesome development (since last night I tried on a pair of jeans that didn't fit nearly so well ... or at all). 

After getting myself dressed, I check to see if the side leg pocket will hold my phone.  Hmmmm, there seems to be something in there.  Could it be...?

Yup, I find more money.  Not much.  Under ten dollars.  But, still.  Clean money - laundered along with the pants the last time I wore them.  Thank goodness that pocket was snapped shut.

Okay, so I worked on cleaning and organizing this summer, and I worked much harder than $45 worth (or, as this case may be, less than $45 total), but I am still feeling pretty good about myself.  Not only did I thin out my clothes and belongings, I paid myself to do it.  Score!