Wednesday, October 18, 2017

FRANKEN-REDDISH/PURPLE-PLANT

I bring in my plants because the temperature takes a nosedive.  All summer and into the fall, my plants have been outside enjoying fresh air and sunshine, so I expect total depression and some faltering health amongst the plants.

I am wrong.

I have  plant that I rescued a couple of years ago from the WalMart "We're Gonna Die and We're 90% Off" rack.  Since then, the damn thing has grown like, well, the weed that it is.  All of the time I've had it, the plant has been green.  Suddenly, during the summer, it turned reddish purple.

According to the plastic name plate that has been stuck inside the plant since I bought it, this is a red ardisia plant.  However, it has never produced any red berries, and the leaves don't seem to match up to the images I see on the Internet.  Perhaps someone recognizes this plant and can enlighten me.

In the meantime, it has only been twenty-four hours since the plants have been back inside for the first time since last spring.  My Franken-Reddish/Purple-Plant has already gone from a sprawling outdoor plant to a climbing-crazed monster that seems very happy in its walled indoor world.

Please, though, if you can identify this plant for me, that would be terrific.  I can usually only grow mold, so this is all very exciting, and I'd like to be able to say proudly, "Hey, I can grow ------!"