Tuesday, October 31, 2017

HALLOWEEN HOWLING (OF THE WIND)

Happy Halloween!

Hopefully, all of the scary stuff is happening Monday, while I type this on borrowed time.  Yes, I still have electricity ... for now, and, yes, I still have Internet ... for now.  I am, however, one of the few still hooked up to Thomas Edison and beyond.

The winds associated with leftover storm Philippe have caused wind shears strong enough to knock several tractor trailer trucks off the highways or onto their sides.  At least one such incident blocks a highway in Portland, Maine, and another one has caused a hazmat situation with a fire that has shut down the highway near my house.

Schools have been cancelled, businesses are closed, and people who are out driving around are probably about as unsafe as those of us huddling inside our homes waiting for tree limbs to impale us.  We are seeing winds steadily blowing well over 40 mph with speedier gusts.  Some areas are seeing winds between 70 and 96 mph, hurricane force, to be sure.

I have done the housekeeping things between last night and this morning: laundry and dishwasher have been run and done.  The air conditioners are still in the windows, which was helpful during the night when it was too windy and rainy to open any windows lest my house flooded, but now it sounds like every gust is going to rip the heavy units right out of the windows for me (and toss them carelessly onto the lawn and onto the patio two stories below).

Sorry, kids, but unless I can get to the store on Halloween right after work (if the school has power by then and if the stores have power restored by then), there will be no candy at my house for you.  Don't bother.  If I make it to the store before 5:00 for Trick or Treating, I'll leave the light on.  Otherwise, I'll be the mean old lady who huddles in the dark for two hours until it's all over.

So, happy Halloween, anyway.  With any luck at all, Monday is the worst of it, and Halloween will bring us back to normal, or as normal as ghouls and costumes and candy can possibly be.  For now, though, the only howling going on is thanks to Mother Nature ... that witch!