Wednesday, October 11, 2017

I BLINKED

I blinked.  Swear to gawd, that's all I did; I blinked.

On top of blinking, I cannot explain it because the days and nights have been ridiculously warm and humid, so much so that the air conditioners have been going pretty much nonstop for several days.  It's just like July around here.  I know next April I will be begging for this weather, but right now, in the heart of October, I think it sucks.

So, I am shocked when I am driving and realize that the leaves are starting to turn.

Honestly, I understand, at least intellectually, that it's the correct time of year, the correct season.  However, we haven't really had enough cool weather to make a dent in our wardrobes.  Short sleeve shirts and capris with sandals, or dresses with bare legs and open-toed shoes are still the survival outfits.  I still have dual fans operating on both sides of my classroom, and it is painfully obvious to us all that the conditioned air units are not on all throughout the day.

And yet, despite nature's obvious denial, autumn seems to be here, anyway.

Do the leaves change color down south even when the temperature hovers in the 70's and 80's all winter?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I am so used to the leaves holding off until the nights get seasonably chilly, that I am amazed at the color we have already, despite the lingering summer.

All I do is blink and October arrives.  If I could just whisper some magical mantra and bring on October temperatures, my life (and my fall wardrobe) would be perfect.  I am soooooooo ready.