Sunday, March 19, 2017

TO NORTH CAROLINA AND BEYOND

If you're reading this and there hasn't been news of some major air disaster, there's a good chance I'm in North Carolina right now.  (If there has been an air disaster, maybe parts of me are all over parts of North Carolina.)

According to the NC weather, the low will be in the 30's, and the high will be in the mid-sixties.  This is good.  It's just like a regular spring or fall day back home in New England when the heat comes on in the morning, and the air conditioner gets fired up in the afternoon.

Here's what I do wish, though.  I wish I could stay longer.  As I type this blog, I haven't even left Boston yet.  I love Boston, I truly do.  I don't think anywhere else in the world could possibly tolerate my foul mouth, my smart-ass attitude, nor my sarcasm. 

I love the people down South, but it's tough for me to be so happy and laid back for sustained amounts of time.  I'm jealous of all-y'all for your hospitable ways, though.  And, man, I do love your weather.

Alas, this trip is a quick hit-and-run.  I've used up my personal days at work already, and I can only make this a weekend flight down and back.  As I write this, I hear I'll be returning to Boston in snow conditions -- not as bad as what we've had so far this March, but still.  It will be a rotten surprise when I drive my car out of the airport lot if the forecasters have their way.

But, then again, this is why I really do belong in Boston.  Much as I love the warmer weather, we New Englanders do so enjoy bitching about the foul weather conditions.  There's nothing more satisfying than telling semi-tall tales about surviving the howling winds and sub-zero temperatures, as if braving a Nor'easter on the streets of the city is as daunting as trying not to get blown off the Mount Washington Observatory patio with hurricane force gusts and windchills of negative a bazillion degrees.

North Carolina, as of this blog writing, I'm not even there yet, and I miss you already knowing I'll have to leave and come back.  Be thankful, though.  I'm not sure my smart mouth can control itself for longer than a couple of days, anyway.