Friday, March 24, 2017

CHROMEBOOK CRISIS

Well, I am an asshole.  Dennis Leary thinks the asshole is he; he even sings a song about it.  But he is wrong, dead wrong.  The asshole is I; I am the asshole.

I am having a shitty week, absolutely horrid.  It started out great and just tanked halfway through.  My nerves are shot to hell, and I'm in no mood for anyone's bullshit. 

This is when my recently-borrowed Chromebook cart comes back to my room.

First of all, it's left outside of the classroom.  Oh, that's okay.  Don't worry about it.  I'll just put it back myself, even though I didn't take it out in the first place.  No problem.  Let me just miss part of my 18-minute lunch to take care of that for you.

Then, when I go to put the cart away, the front is locked up tight (to protect the Chromebooks from being stolen), but the back is wide open.  Great.  Reach in and steal one, then expect me to know where it went.  Pissah.  Wonderful.  There goes more of my 18-minute lunch.  Okay, it's officially 22 minutes, but I've spent 4 minutes trying to hurry along the slowpokes who think it's okay to knit socks after passing time.

I finally get the cart in its place, and I decide to check it out and make sure that I did, indeed, get all of the devices back.  This is when I notice that not one, not two, not three, but eight Chromebooks are not charging because no one bothered to plug them into the charging ports inside the cart.  So, now I'm losing even more time because I have to stop and plug everything in. 

By the time I sit at my desk to eat lunch, I have twelve minutes, and this includes pee-time at the bathroom that is about 100 yards away.

This pisses me off for some strange reason, and I blow a head gasket on an unsuspecting tech person.  Like it's her fault . . . which it isn't.  And really -- so what if someone just kind of left me in the lurch returning the technology he/she borrowed from my room.  So what if I miss half of my lunch.  Is this REALLY what's bothering me?

Probably not.  My day sucks.  It has sucked since I woke up, and it continues to suck all day long, and it sucks from something that will not go away in a day or two.  This is going to be a long-term suck. 

I apologize profusely over and over and over again to the tech who caught my wrath.  Thankfully, she is incredibly understanding. 

I need to be in the old school building, the building before we moved to this beautiful new one.  I need a concrete wall on which to bash my head.  These damn wallboard walls don't do shit for my self-flagellation.  Right now I wish I were Rip Van Winkle, at least in part.  If I could sleep for a week or two and have my issues resolve themselves while I slumber, life would be fabulous. 

But, no, that's not going to happen.

So, please, for my sanity and yours, if you borrow my damn Chromebook cart, please, for the love of god, please, please, please don't leave it in my hallway like I'm your slave, and please, please, please don't forget to plug the devices ALL into the charging ports.  I'm NOT your damn slave, and I'd like to eat my damn lunch at some point today.

Rant over.