Thursday, March 16, 2017

POST-STORM MUSINGS

Post-storm update --

My neighborhood is lucky.  We have some branches down and a lot of snow and ice, but we keep our electricity, cable, phone, Internet, and heat.  Just a half mile away, those people are not so lucky.  People all over my town and the towns surrounding us have no power and no heat.  Some of them get it back about twenty-four hours later; some are still waiting.

I cannot wrap my head around the pockets of damage, even as I watch two different angles of a tractor trailer jackknifing on the Zakim Bridge on the interstate in Boston.  As I'm driving to work early this morning, there are police cars with blue flashing lights at the top of the hill, about 1/10th of a mile from my house.  The entire stretch of stores uptown (about 2/10ths of a mile from my house) is powerless.  My daughter's street is without power.  Trees are down.  One tree completely blocks the opposite lane on a main roadway between my house and my work.

I'm a bit astounded.  It seems the aftermath is far worse than the storm itself.

When I arrive at work, the entire parking lot is a skating rink.  Everything has frozen solidly over.  By the time I leave work, it is still damn cold outside, but the sheer will of the sun has melted quite a bit of the ice and snow on the parking lot and on the streets.  I wonder when the town will get workers out to cut the snow banks around the street corners.

I'm thinking that the world looks a lot safer this afternoon until I pull up to a light by the prep school.  This is when I see the traffic light.  The light has suffered significantly in the storm.  The top red light is partially covered by snow and ice, the second two lights below it (both yellow and green) are encrusted with slush, ice, and snow.  I have to rely on the driver in front of me because even when the traffic light turns green, it's nearly impossible to see the colors.

I was a little smug yesterday, claiming this storm was nothing out of the ordinary, and that still may well be true.  However, to my neighbors suffering without power and dealing with closed streets and downed power and cable lines, I apologize if it seems I minimized your predicament.