Saturday, March 25, 2017

HITTING THE WALL VIA TOOTHBRUSH

I officially hit the wall today.  Well, to be truthful, it started last evening with the following conversation via text about electric toothbrushes:

ME:  Hey, which toothbrush is mine?

SON:  What do you mean? 

ME:  I moved our toothbrushes to clean, and now I can't remember which one is mine.

SON: (following a very long pause)  You've had your toothbrush for a year now.  Can't you tell the difference?

ME:  Maybe.  Yes.  No.  I'm not sure.

SON:  Mine has a puddle under it because I just used it before I left the house.

ME:  That doesn't help.  I already moved them and cleaned up the counter.

SON:  Mine's the newer one.

ME:  That doesn't help, either.  They're both the same brand and look the same except for the brush head.  Is yours the one with bigger bristles or smaller bristles?

SON:  I don't know.  Send me a picture.

(I send him a picture.)

SON:  Mine's the one on the left.

ME:  (even though that's exactly what I suspected) Are you SURE?

SON:  Yes.  I'm sure.

(I'm still not sure even though I'm pretty sure.  I'm at about 98% sure.  No, his is newer-looking.  He's right.  We're right.  His is left.)

Okay, so truthfully the conversation was much shorter, but it did involve a few texts and a picture.  I am so tired that I cannot even tell which toothbrush is mine, although I've used it daily for a long time.  I should be able to pick my own toothbrush out of a line-up.  In my defense, I never wear my glasses when brushing my teeth.  I simply know that my toothbrush is the wavery form closest to the wavery mirror that I can just make out with my wavery vision.   

Lately I've had a bit of insomnia, but not tonight.  I don't even remember putting my head down on the pillow.  Moments later (or so it seems -- it's really hours), my alarm goes off.  It's an old-school radio alarm set to pop/latest hits KISS 108 because classical WCRB 99.5 hasn't been coming in lately.  The music comes on a little too loudly, and I wake from my fog.  A second later (or so it seems -- it's really ten minutes), my cell phone back-up alarm goes off.

I am so tired that I have dozed off and am actually dreaming that I am awake while sleeping right through my alarm.  I make it through the day at work, but by 4:30 in the afternoon, I am snoozing sitting at the table trying to check my email.

This is all my toothbrush's fault.  If it had just behaved itself when I cleaned the counter, I never would've realized how crazy-tired I am, and my son might've been able to pretend that I'm not just plain crazy.  But, the good news is he now has a picture of our electric toothbrushes, should I ever need his expertise detective skills again.