Tuesday, March 7, 2017

BOOK FAIR DAY!

It's Book Fair Day!  Whooohoooo!!!!!  I get to take all of my classes to the school book fair today, and I know some of you aren't remotely excited about this, but I am thrilled.

When I was a kid, I loved the book fair.  I loved when class Scholastic orders came out, too.  I was a voracious reader then, and I still would be if I only had more time in my life.  Even now when I hand out Scholastic orders to my students, I always manage to get extra books for my class library -- books I hope to read but rarely do.

Now, though, I have to make sure that I don't bring any cash with me when I go to the book fair at school.  I'd buy everything in sight: fictions novels, cookbooks, posters, pencils, dictionaries, DVDs.  Pretty much whatever the book fair is selling, I'm buying (in my mind). 

My problem is that I don't like the library.  I mean, I like it fine, but I cannot keep the books.  That makes me very sad because I really like books.  I don't have a Kindle or any e-books loaded on my phone.  I need the physical presence of a book in my hands.  To me, reading a book involves all of my senses, and I cannot accomplish that with a computer.

So, today is Book Fair Day, and I will go to the fair and try very hard not to buy anything  until I've read the hundred or so books on my shelves that are waiting to be read first.  I know, I know; it's a sick thing to stockpile like I do, binging on books.  I wish I were able to purge, but it's too painful. 

I'm very excited about going to the fair, but I know my limits.  Let's see if I can make it out of there alive and unbooked.