Friday, March 3, 2017

40 BAGS IN 40 DAYS

I have to give something up for Lent.  I'm not particularly religious, but I like to try and at least attempt to be part of the movement, support somewhat the religion I adopted as a teenager, much to the dismay and disgust of my atheist and agnostic parents.

I do know my limits.  I'm not giving up swearing or wine or red meat or Solitaire on my cell phone.  Although I am working very hard to eat healthier, I'm not willing to say "no" to chocolate nor to extra-toasty Cheez-Its just yet.

Here's what I will do, though.  There is cyber-challenge going around to donate 40 bags of stuff to charity during Lent -- a bag a day.  I'm not sure I can do a bag a day, necessarily, as my life is pretty much a clusterfuck most of the time.  However, I do think I can commit to 40 bags over the course of 40 days.

I hope this is fair.  My intentions are pure.  I do live in the shadow of four churches and can see them pretty much any direction I face from my house, from almost every window, so I feel like the oversight part of this is covered; I've cornered the market on religious guilt by visual association.  Plus, I have collected many plastic grocery bags since switching up my shopping habits.  I have more than forty bags to spare.

I am thinking that when I run out of personal items to donate (books, clothes, shoes, craft supplies, fabric, yarn, and sports equipment), I'll work on items for the animal shelters and food pantries around me.  Either way, I am determined to make 40 bags before Easter.  I may not be particularly religious, but I am wildly dedicated.