Thursday, March 23, 2017

COLD-EEZE AND LAVA MOUTH

You know how people sometimes say, "The cure is worse than the disease"?  I find this out big time when I try to cure the tail end of a cold that has left me almost voiceless, a really bad condition for a teacher.

I had been sucking on Cold-Eeze lozenges for about a week.  I decide that before I go to bed, I'll hit up the Cold-Eeze one more time.  I dissolve the thing (over time) and finally the whole lozenge is gone.  I am thinking I should probably get to bed soon, so I start walking toward the bathroom to brush my teeth.

All of a sudden, my tongue is on fire, and by fire, I mean I am holding molten lava on my tongue.  I stick my tongue out and scrape away at it with my finger.  Obviously, the end of the lozenge is stuck on my tongue and menthol-ing it all out, right?

Wrong.  There is nothing on my tongue except a boiling hot spot that is now starting to bubble up like burning plastic.  I run to the large mirror and stick out my tongue.  An oval in the center of my tongue is turning a blackish color, and boils of tongue skin are erupting as I am starting to self-combust via my mouth.

All I can think of is that a hole will burn through, like Chernobyl, and I'll have to stick something into my tongue like a giant disc or some stopper to prevent food from falling through the chasm that used to be my tongue.  I run to the freezer, grab an ice cube, and immediately start icing the burning area of my tongue.  The ice melts quickly.

While holding the cube on my tongue, I use my other hand to Google "Cold-Eeze burnt tongue."  Amazingly enough, many posts come pinging up.  Apparently, this is a common side-effect.  Great.  So, in order to feel better from this cold, I guess I have to burn a giant hole through my tongue.

Hours later, there is still a fairly significant indentation in my tongue, surrounded by blistered skin.  Also, I still have crap in my lungs and my voice is shot to Hell, only now I cannot talk because I've barbecued the inside of my mouth with a damn Cold-Eeze lozenge. 

I should've just stayed sick.  This cure is totally worse than the disease.