Wednesday, March 15, 2017

SNOW PAIN AND KNEE PAIN

The storm ends up being just as I called it.

Sure, we have some downed trees and branches, and some people have lost power.  Once the rain starts, the snow becomes heavy as iron and the consistency of concrete.  But, it's over early, there's a foot less than they predict, and it never snows as hard as they claim it will.  The wind, though impressive, isn't anything unusual for a Nor'easter.

In other words, this storm is a damn dud.

The landlord's son manages to get the snowblower going, then it breaks, then it's going again.  We shovel about half of the snow; he snowblows about half of the snow.  This assistance saves my son and me about an hour or so of extremely hard labor.  Still, though, that hour we already put in leaves us sore and soaked as the blowing snow turns to errant large plops of cold rain.

It isn't until I get inside and out of my soaking snow pants and dripping wet parka that I realize how sore I am.  So sore, in fact, that my knee starts screaming at me.  Apparently, I really am feeling as old as I am.  I root around my room because I know I have a knee brace.  I also have a flexible ankle brace and two sturdier, inflexible ankle braces.  I have multiple ace bandages in varying widths and lengths tucked away in a plastic bin under the bathroom sink, as well.  Yup, my body sometimes rebels.

In the end, the storm, though a nuisance, is not the most significant pain I will suffer today.  With any luck at all, by tomorrow, both my knee pain and the snow will be on the way out of my life.  Like my great storm prediction, I'm betting on this scenario, as well.  I'll be two for two, mark my words.

If I'm wrong, though, it's okay.  Snow and aches/pains are part of a traditional Nor'easter.  It's just what we do around here, and that's what makes it all so much fun.