Sunday, October 2, 2016

WINE(RY) OF THE WEEK IS A FORCE OF NATURE

Wine of the Week is really Winery of the Week because one of the local shops hosts a wine maker from California.  Andrew Nelson, from Force of Nature Winery in Paso Robles, California, is out here in New England, freezing himself with our weather.  Yup - he left 102 degree sun to bring us wine way out here in the 50 degree rain.

That's dedication.

My wine rack is full, so I purposely only bring $20 cash with me and no credit or debit card.  I am extremely regretful of that as soon as I see the wine labels.  They're based on a text from the 1400s, which, of course, makes my inner literatus happy.  The labels are not only remarkably eye-catching, but they're full of chaos and destruction, which makes me sickly warm and fuzzy inside.

The problem is not which wine to buy because my financial faux pas means I can only bring one bottle home with me regardless.  The problem is which one to recommend for wine of the week.

The winery has several different lines of wines, but the store is only pouring samples from Force of Nature.  I'm not a chardonnay aficionado, but my sister is. This chardonnay is citrusy with slight oak.  Andrew admits that he isn't a huge chard fan, either, but he likes this one.  I have to agree.  I am terribly tempted to get the chardonnay to bring to my sister's house, but I already have a marvelous bottle put aside for her.  It's delicious, but I decide against it.

The 2014 Zinfandel is fruity, spicy, and complex.  It's a great red and a super zin, but still.  I've no one to drink the zin with, except maybe a good hunk of cheddar cheese, so I pass on that.  However, I'd still speak very highly of it and recommend it without a second thought.

The real taste-off is between the Cabernet Sauvignon and the red blend.  My daughter is a cab sauv drinker, and her thirtieth birthday is just around the corner.  Andrew is signing bottles for us, and this would certainly be a nice gift.  However, I already bought her a couple of gifts and a ticket to tonight's Brew on the Charles.  The cabernet sauvignon is wonderful, though -- deep color, rich aroma, hints of licorice and cherry.

This is a tough call.  However, Saturday wine tasting is all about me.  I am missing two grand tastings tonight in order to go taste the coveted Boston beer made with filtered Charles River water (Love That Dirty Water -- the Charles IS "that dirty water").  That being said, I think the decision is made.

That means I am leaning toward the red blend, just for me, all for me.  I've already won a prize just for saying the magic phrase "I am a Force of Nature" when entering the shop, but this decision means that Andrew signs the bottle for me, just for me, all for me.  I walk out of there with some extra labels, a prize of a huge candle with a label on it, and a fantastic bottle of 2014 Red Blend, rich with merlot and syrah and full of berries and spices, for an amazing price of $13.

Winery for this Week -- Force of Nature Winery in Paso Dobles, California.
Wine for this Week -- 2014 Force of Nature Red Blend