Wednesday, October 5, 2016

INHALING BEEF STEW

I have some facial surgery today, which turns out to be a little more complicated than I'm expecting, and my face starts to swell.  On top of that, tape is everywhere, and my mouth is both swollen and taped partially shut.  (This is like a dream for those who have to tolerate me.)

The biggest challenge is eating.  I cannot open my mouth more than a tiny bit, and chewing makes me blow out some stitchery.  In order to eat pudding, I have to hold the spoon to the opposite side of my mouth and inhale.  Most of the pudding ends up on my face, but enough gets in to serve as sustenance.

Later, after having a bleeding semi-emergency, my daughter and her friend, both nurses, come over to help tape my now-blood-caked bandages back down.  (Have I painted a pretty picture yet?  Yeah, I'm a real looker right now.)  They bring me piping hot beef stew and fresh bread.

The food smells amazing.  AMAZING.  If only the aroma could help the food jump into my growling belly.

Eventually I am able to semi-shovel small bits and squished pieces of stew into my mouth.  The bread will have to wait, so I wrap it up in plastic wrap then foil, hoping it stays just as fresh for when I can eat it in 24-48 hours.  That is, if I don't starve to death or drown myself with pudding in the mean time.