Saturday, October 15, 2016

PERFECT CARD


There are times when my sister is right, and then there are times when my sister is right.  Okay, basically she is always right.  Once in a while she might let me win at Cribbage, but still, no matter, she is always right.  Always.

My sister never misses a holiday, birthday, or important life event.  Recently after having surgery for cancer on my face, she sent me a care package.  She sends texts and she calls and she sends cards.  Absolutely perfect cards.

Take for example the Halloween card that arrives today.  Hang with me for a moment:

Sometimes her cards are sappy, and that whole "we are family" sentiment comes out in her.  Oh, sure, we're sisters, but growing up together we spent a lot more time whacking each other around and trying to drown each other in the pool than we did bonding.  Maybe that was our bonding; I don't know.

Sometimes her cards are funny and have clever word twists that are personalized just between us, like Shakespearean insults or offhand references to infamous composers or other obscure references.

More often than not, however, her clever mailings are spot-on.  This card for Halloween?  Yup.  Spot.  Totally.  On.

This is why we get along so well ... other than being survivors of a horrific shared childhood experience.  Oh, that and the fact that she lets me sing very badly to equally pathetic 80s hit radio when we are in the car together.  This must be indescribably tough for her as she is a classically trained soloist and I am an automobile solo star (in my own mind).

Anyway, the Halloween card that she sends me (early, too, so now I realize that I am even more inadequate than originally presumed) is funny.  Yet, the card is also surprisingly accurate.  It doesn't say much and yet it speaks volumes. 

It is the perfect card.

Any why is it the perfect card, boys and girls?

Because it's true.  (And because it's from my sister.)