Sunday, October 30, 2016

SIP OF THE WEEK: OLDE MECKLENBURG BREWERY

This week's sipping shout-out goes to the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery in Charlotte, North Carolina.

We are in North Carolina for a wonderful family event, and my youngest has yet to visit the brewery. The problem is that he has to fly home before the rest of us.  We are a mere eight miles from the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, and there's a little more than an hour before he has to head to the airport.

The brewery has a German theme, and their beers run the gamut from sweet and light to dark and frothy.  The brewery has a fabulous interior room, with tables and a huge bar, and it also has an outside set up that is family-friendly.  Food is available, and the place has a band playing outside.

The best thing about the brewery would be the prices.  A flight of four samples costs around $5, and a flight of seven costs around $7.  The four I pick for today run from sweet to seasonal:  Raddler (a combo beer that also has Sprite in it), Hornet's Nest (fruity and light with a bacony aftertaste), Captain Jack Pilsner (same one I had at dinner last night - outstanding), and Mecktoberfest (a beer that rises above the rest).

Mecktoberfest competes with the best of our local New England beers, and I'm sorry it won't be available the next time I visit Charlotte, but I'll be back.  This brewery is amazing, and it does beer and presentation beautifully.

My recommendation for this week -- Get on a plane and head south, my friends.  (I'll have to add the picture after the fact -- not on y laptop.)  :)