Monday, October 24, 2016

AUTUMN - THE MAGNIFICENT MOMENT

It's important to note that a camera phone does not capture the brilliant autumn colors as well as a 35mm, but I give it the old Heliand try, just the same. 

I have been waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for a sunny afternoon this past week so I can take some foliage pictures.  The foliage here sucked until last week when rain finally arrived.  Colors are always more brilliant when the trees have enough water in their roots, and we have been in severe drought conditions following a spectacular but dry summer.  The problem is that photographing the best color contrast requires a brilliant blue sky, and we haven't had one since the rains helped the trees along about five days ago.

Today it is finally blue enough and sunny enough outside to get some great pictures, but we have a terrible wind storm blow through last night and into today.  My window of opportunity is sadly limited by whatever is left on the trees.

I head over to the same place that I have been taking pictures since I moved here a thousand years ago as a kid.  I snap picture after picture, as do the dozens of others wandering the grounds of West Parish cemetery.  The place is loaded with vivid trees and also is home to two ponds, a small fountain, a stone bridge, and a famous old granite chapel, complete with original Tiffany glass windows.

Anyway, I do manage to get some great shots, including a line of veterans' gravestones where the wind splays the flags out in a row with the trees behind.  I play with some camera exposures, too, just for fun.  I only wish these pictures could properly display the true colors of the season.  Imagine these amped up with a bit more colorful electric hues and you're seeing the real deal.

Happy autumn, all.  It may be a short season, but it certainly is worth the magnificent moment.