Wednesday, October 19, 2016

SCAR FOR THE ROAD

Scar and I take our show on the road today.  Sure, Scar partied a little bit Friday evening, but this will be Scar's first daytime, in the light, public outing.  A proud moment, to be sure.

Scar first attached itself to me two weeks ago during surgery to remove a hunk of basal cell cancer from my face.  In a strange spot, the surgeon cut, cleared out, then reattached part of my nostril and sewed me up from chin to cheek to nose, and thus Scar was created. 

For a while I thought I might look like Terry Sawchuk, pre-goalie mask.  (For the record, I actually think Sawchuk was rather handsome.)  When I first saw the stitchery up close (my facial stitchery, not Sawchuk's), the raw hamburger effect made me sad and somewhat distressed, which was and still is difficult to convey as one side of my mouth now bows into a permanent smirk.

Now that I have my face almost completely back, I see the damage is not so bad.  The surgeon, an absolute master with needle and thread, used dissolving stitches.  Although the inner ones (dozens) will slowly melt away over the next three to four months, the outer ones have dissolved nicely and neatly.  Except for a couple of spots along the incision that absolutely couldn't be helped, I look more like a victim of Captain Hook than the Bride of Frankenstein.

It's going to be a long while before things settle back down.  I still have residual swelling, and the nerve damage is regenerating and repairing itself a sloth-like millimeter at a time.  I still have some numbness around my left eye, so if I wink at you, it could be involuntary.  Just go with it.

I'm in the Official 99% Club now.  The chance of recurrence of the cancer, at least in this spot, is only 1%.  I may look like I survived a knife fight, but I survived.  The best part is that I have more cool bandaids than I
could ever possibly use.  So, if anyone needs football or shark or Minion or animal print or Shakespeare or Edgar Allen Poe or camouflage bandaids, I have them.  I have them all.

Until I need those bandaids again, I'm taking Scar on the road.  We cannot hang out in sunshine (Scar is part vampire, apparently), but we can hang out.  I could not ask for anything better than that.