Saturday, October 22, 2016

EAT THE COOKIES!

I don't care how hot and sticky and muggy and gross it is.  I'm baking cookies.

All right, so they're not "real" cookies, in the sense that I don't actually mix the ingredients together.  But, in my defense, I do still have to bake them in the oven at 350 degrees.  The hardest part of the prep, though, is opening the wrapper and using a huge carving knife to cut the twenty-four squares so they can be lined up on baking sheets.

Really, this whole baking thing is a moot point.  I still have a few Chips Ahoy cookies left, but the package of Nestle Toll House pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough is calling to me.

"Hey," it whispers, "you're dying for fresh-baked cookies and ice-cold milk.  You know you are."

Look, it's bad enough when the voices inside of my head start whispering to me.  Those voices I can ignore.  But, seriously.  Have you ever tried to ignore cookie dough when it calls? 

DOUGH:  (whispering) cooooookies ... cooooooooooooooookies ...

ME:  Who said that?  

DOUGH:  Open the fridge.  See that bright yellow-orange package?

ME:  No!  I'm on a health-food kick.  Leave me alone.

DOUGH:  You know you want me.

ME:  My rolls of fat want you.  Me?  I want nothing to do with you.

DOUGH:  LIAR!  (pause)  See the milk?  Yeah, right there, right next to me.  That's it, that's it.  Think of its icy-cold, milky goodness.  All it needs is a cookie.  A fresh-from-the-oven cooooookie.

ME:  No!  Get away from me!  Heathen!  Loser!  You're a bad influence!

DOUGH:  Cooooooooookie.  Cooooooooooooooookie.  You're getting very hungry.  Very, very huuuuuuuuuuuuuumgry...

Next thing I know, I'm under the Nestle spell.  I'm opening the cookie dough, I'm separating the cookie dough squares, I'm baking the cookies, and, damnit, I AM EATING THE COOKIES.  I do also drink milk (1%), so I suppose this can be considered a healthy snack.

Just don't tell my rolls of fat because I ate the cookies without telling them, and I don't want to give them any more ideas about how they can prevent me from fitting into my own clothes.