Thursday, March 10, 2016

DIS-CREDITED


I have a pile of credit cards with credit acceptance letters sitting on a chair in the kitchen.  They're just hanging out waiting to be activated.  I honestly don't know why they keep sending me more cards -- I must have five different versions of the JC Penney card, six or seven Sears cards, and a couple of Target ones, along with Kohls, Dressbarn, and other ones I use maybe once every three or four years.  I don't even know if any of them work anymore.

I do, however, use my bank debit card for absolutely everything.  It's a card that is not set to expire until 2017, so I haven't really given it a second thought.  I carry it everywhere; I use it everywhere.  Imagine my surprise when I try to order some lacrosse team gear tonight (my son is coaching a youth team and their logo is pretty dope) and the order gets spit back for a bank rejection.

Apparently, my debit card has been cancelled.

I stopped payment on a lost check yesterday, and I did it electronically.  Maybe I screwed up my account somehow.  I mean, I'm not exactly an electronic genius, so I start rooting through the pile of credit cards and letters, hoping to find the password I wrote down in order to go in and issue the stop-payment order. 

Suddenly I spy a folded up paper that says, "For your protection, we are issuing you a new debit card... Your old card will stop working in 30 days."

Holy shit.  I have been walking around with that old bank card as my only hope against being broke, buying groceries, and putting gas in my car.  Luckily, I recently converted to paying cash more often than not.  Damn good thing I tried to order the lax gear or else I wouldn't have figured this out until an embarrassing moment at Market Basket or the gas station or the doctor's office.

Okay, that's it.  Filing absolutely gets finished this weekend.  Bring on the shredder!