Friday, September 4, 2015

WELL PLAYED, MALL

My son needs some shirts for work.  We've already gone on a khakis quest, so now we just have to match the pants with some button-down shirts (for most days) and some casual shirts (for Fridays).  He has some shirts already, but he is cycling the same ones through every week.  He needs variety.

Mall, here we come.

Let me admit right up front that I detest shopping.  I know that's not normal, but if there is a Hell, it's an endless mall with indoor thunder and lightning, and, probably, lots of helium balloons.  The good thing is that I am shopping for son's clothes because the only thing worse than shopping itself is trying clothes on and discovering how awful I look in most fashions.  Tonight I'm safe from such self-flagellation.

Son's first stop is Macy's, where, surprisingly, we find great sales but not so great selection.  We end up with socks and one button-down shirt, which is on some phenomenal sale.  The socks are more expensive, and, including an extra coupon I have, the total is somewhere around $22.

Not willing to give up, I drag son to JC Penney to check their men's section.  We drift from one display to another to another, quickly amassing several button-down work shirts and a couple of casual Friday shirts.  In the end, JC Penney yields maybe six shirts.  Including my coupon and a discount for using the store credit card, I pay $52.

Unbelievable.  All this, seven or so shirts and six pairs of socks for under $75.  Considering how much shopping and I don't get along, this is a real coup.  Well played, mall.  Well played.