Wednesday, September 16, 2015

KICKBOXING 101



My daughter emails me at work (I have no cell service, so no one can text or call me) to find out what I am doing tonight.  She has decided that kickboxing might be fun.

Not cardio-kickboxing.  Super-cardio Kickboxing.  Taught by martial arts instructors, not aerobics instructors, still with bags (not each other).

She has gone so far as to email a place near her house, which is about a half hour from my house on a good day, and an hour away with commuter traffic. 

Oh, boy.

I decide to go.  I mean, I’ve done cardio-kickboxing, and I did years of judo (I sucked, but I did it), and lately I have been walking/jogging and also kayaking.  I’m in reasonably good shape.  Plus, I have full boxing gloves for her (plus wraps), and I have fingerless gloves for me.  We’re good to go.

We show up to the place, and the girl behind the counter tries to talk me into jiu-jitsu.  Hmmm. Maybe.  But let me get through this class, first.  As soon as we are situated, the other people in the class show us two things:

The puke bucket and the bathroom.  Better to rush to the bathroom than puke in the bucket in front of everyone, they assure us.

Oh, crap.  What have we done?  Should we bail?  What the hell.

The first half hour is super-cardio, like boot camp.  This would be almost, fine except that it’s all barefoot.  I’ve always wished kickboxing were barefoot … until I had extensive foot surgery and developed an extremely painful neuroma.  My daughter fights fatigue and I fight pain as we attempt to keep up with the class and not look like boobs.

As the bags are rolled out, we realize we have made it through the trial by fire and not puked in the barrel (or anywhere else).   The gloves go on.  My daughter, who has never learned any of the punches nor hit anything more than her brothers, takes to it slowly at first then with more gusto.  For me, the punching comes back quickly.  A classmate teaches my daughter about turning her knee out with one leg to kick with the other.  For me, this all comes back naturally.

We decide to skip two nights in a row, which is good.  I’m not as sore as I expect to be, but I have a lot of stuff to get done at work and could use a few extra hours in my classroom after school.  But tomorrow … that’s another story.  If my daughter is up to another beating, I’m in.  I’m so in.

Besides, after the week I’ve had at work, punching the shit out of an inanimate object might be infinitely better than the alternative.