Monday, September 28, 2015

SURRENDERING TO EXHAUSTION



Have you ever been so tired that even your tiredness is tired?

This happens twice a week to teachers:  Friday evenings after a long week of being on our feet, and Sunday evening as soon as the sun goes down and we realize another week has us in its stranglehold.

Simple things like eating and doing laundry and emptying the dishwasher become torturous on Fridays and Sundays because once I catch my breath, my eyes close and my head rolls sideways.

I am, quite literally, asleep on my feet.

I’m no Winston Churchill.  Churchill reportedly napped for twenty minute intervals and yet functioned as one of the greatest statesmen of all time.  I have no idea how he managed to ever be photographed without blood-red eyes.  Oh yeah – black and white photography.

Still, photos or no, I’m exhausted.  I need about a week of sleep, or so it feels.  Even my eyelids need a vacation.  It’s not that I mind being back in the grind again; it’s just that I forgot how very much bullshit goes along with it.  And I’ve got to tell you, bullshit is frigging tiring.

Okay, Winston, I surrender.  I’m waving the white flag of defeat.  It’s Sunday evening, and right after I check out that lunar eclipse, I’m going to let my eyeballs eclipse.