Saturday, September 12, 2015

GO LONG!

The hallway in my wing of the new school is long.  Really long.

I am in the second to last room before the administrative offices, and when I stand outside of my door and gaze down this lengthy corridor, it's almost like peering into an optical illusion --  the walls, the ceiling tiles, the lockers, the floor tiles all seem to melt together into one serious case of tunnel vision.  Everything appears to be spinning ever-so slowly.

We all joke that the walking of this hall will give us buns of steel.  One of the admin guys measured the entire hallway using a metal tape measure to put his mind at ease about the true length of the daily walk: Two football fields. Yup, the long hallway measures the same as two football fields, end to end.

Most people find this information to be important, helping them to focus on whatever exercise is good, such as this lengthy walk.

Not me.

Ever since I realized that the hallway is the same length as two football fields, I want to go out there with a football and play a game.  I want to get that admin guy in the hallway, raise a football with my right arm, and yell, "Go long, Gronk; go looooong!"

And this is why I teach middle school,