Monday, September 7, 2015

THE LITTLE PLANTS THAT COULD

Everybody knows I love the beach, so for my birthday this summer, one of my brothers decided to give me some beach toys.  I didn't laugh -- My pal and I collect beach rocks, and anything that sifts sand and can carry rocks is okay by me.

I didn't go to the beach this weekend partly because I cannot tolerate crowds but mostly because I have finally started tearing my house to shreds while I rearrange and purge.  Once the bug hits to do this, it cannot be stopped, and this place is desperately in need of some TLC.  It has been two years since I really put any time into this townhouse, and it has finally caught up to me.

Today I have a list of things I need/want for the house and for work.  I go from place to place, pricing out some things like shelving units, and actually buying things like a new fan so I can haul the old one to school.  It's going to be 94 this week.  Of course the worst heatwave of the summer hits when I go back to school. 

While I'm shopping, though, I remember that my new classroom has great windows and windowsills, so I peruse the plant section at Wal-Mart.  I ignore the mums and fall plants and go right for the clearance table.  Among the plants being peddled are four sad looking plants of various types.  I grab each one, cradling them in my arms until I can walk all the way across the store to reach the carriages. I don't think I pay more than $7 or $8 for the four plants together.

Once I get my new plants home, I re-pot them with fresh soil and feed them some water with plant food.  I scoot them outside with the other plants, watering everything with my big green watering can, when it hits me:  If I bring these plants to work, how will I water them?  I need a watering can of some kind.

This is when I remember the birthday beach toys.  Is there ...?  Might there be ...?  I cannot recall.  I tear into the pail of toys to reveal a plastic watering can of the exact size that I need for school. 

SCORE!

I didn't finish my purging, sorting, or cleaning, and I only got a few of the items on my list, but now I can look at those little plants every day.  Hopefully, the kids' carbon dioxide emissions will keep my little babies healthy.

I'll let you know how it goes.