Saturday, September 26, 2015

ROAD CLOSED AND OTHER DEFINITIONS OF IRONY

The definition of irony is: FUCKING ROAD BLOCK.

I have had a modular kayak in the back of my car for about a week now.  Every day after work I plan on stopping by the pond and paddling around for an hour.  Every day after work I have even more work to do and do not have time to stop.

Finally, after staying up until midnight on Thursday trying to get work done, I decide that on Friday I really will stop and put in at the pond.  I pack up my gear, make sure I'm wearing pants to work that can get wet if necessary, and I bring along flip flops for the ride home after I've soaked my water shoes.

I am so psyched. 

On my way to work, I drive by the backside of the pond like I do pretty much every morning so I can catch the sun rising across the water.  As I turn to the rear access road, I notice a sign on the road that veers left, the road where the parking lot is, the road where the pond's kayak/canoe launch is.

ROAD CLOSED ALL DAY.

Honestly.  I finally clear a block of time from my ridiculous work schedule, and I get hit with a block right back.  I'd like to say it really is ironic, but, truly, this is the kind of shit that makes my world spin. 

Fucking road block; irony at its finest.

Well played, DPW workers, well-played, indeed.