Friday, May 31, 2013

BECAUSE APPARENTLY I'M STUPID



ANSWER:  Because apparently I'm stupid.

I am informed that an important day of curriculum at the end of this year will be forfeited for me and my subject-specific cohorts to attend a day of professional development to which we have been "invited" (summonsed).  Unable to give up any more of my teaching time, I react to this "invitation" with a sudden spike to my blood pressure and a loss of control over my verbal faculties as the words Fuck that shit fly out of my mouth.  Normally it would be okay for me to say Fuck that shit after school hours, which it is, except that I am sitting in a curriculum meeting with my colleagues and my immediate (low on the totem pole but significantly more important than am I) superior.

I discover that this incredible, unparalleled, special event is to be done on an afternoon of the last full week of school, during which I will lose a planning period that everyone else who is attending will still get in the morning.  Not one to throw the word contract around, I decide to anyway since I have already said Fuck that shit.  The only thing I have to lose at this point is my job

The resulting brouhaha resolves itself when I am offered, albeit half-heartedly, a chance to opt out.  Well, I guess no one expects me to actually choose what's behind door number two.  I opt out so fast and furiously that my finger actually bruises when I hit "send."   My classes, my curriculum, and my students are more important than test-driving another flash-in-the-pan writing program that's gone the way of all the other writing programs before it:  John Collins (with whom I worked before he was JOHN COLLINS!!!!! when he was just john collins), Write Source, Six Traits, and now, Writing With Colors.

I decide since I'm going to miss the presentation that I should probably do a little research.  What I discover is that this program is something that has been around for decades and just keeps getting recycled as more people claim to discover it and stick a flag on it.  I click on link after link after link, going up the gamut until I hit the most recent Internet entry:  MY BOSS (and two of his compadres).  Not the Low-Totem Boss and not the High-Totem Boss (which is really ass-backward since it's customary to have the most significant person at the bottom of the totem, is it not?) but the Almost-High-Totem Boss.

So it seems that my day of teaching is being interrupted for a colleague's research project, a patent-pending endeavor, a future one-man road show, an overpaid consultant's version of a wet dream.

And therein lies the rub (uhhhh…. no pun intended).

The added beauty of it all is that if this blog entry sees the light of day, I can lose my job over it for bitching.  Apparently when MY writing is colorful, it's not such a great thing.  I guess this realization calls for an additional if anti-climactic Fuck this shit, too.


What in the hell is the matter with people?  I mean truly -- WTF.  Who hires himself and his friends as a paid professional consulting team to deliver a regurgitated program as their own at the end of a school year so we cannot possibly make any use of it whatsoever?  Are we just their guinea pigs for their first trial run?  And why hasn't someone informed them that the Writing With Colors program has been here … and gone … and come back around … and receded … and orbited the public education community more times than Halley's Comet has through the cosmos?

Which brings me back to the Big Bang, as in banging my head against the cinderblock walls because I cannot for the life of me figure out what passes for avant-garde academia these days.

QUESTION:  Why do I always let common sense, logic, the good of the students, and my big defiant mouth get in the way of my career advancement and an afternoon of napping in a student desk?

ANSWER:  Because apparently I'm stupid.

I am tremendously thankful to the Totems-That-Be for pointing that out.  I certainly couldn't have done it without them.