Monday, May 13, 2013

I'M A LUMBERJACK MOM



Mother's Day. 

The day when so many moms have high expectations and some moms just don't.  

How many mothers simply wanted the day to themselves?  "Take the kids to the park and for ice cream.  Don't come home until sometime in 2018…"  You think they're kidding.  Men, trust me; they're not even remotely joking.

That being said, I celebrated the low expectations version of Mother's Day on Saturday.  I did something I rarely do: I watched television.  Simultaneously and over a series of hours I watched several pre-recorded movie versions of rock concerts (Led Zepplin, David Bowie, Queen), a couple of movies including the uncut original Blazing Saddles ("Prairie shit!"), and four Division I NCAA lacrosse games.  I finished one book and started another, which I stayed up reading until 2 a.m.  I had breakfast with my middle child and supper with my youngest.   With the exception of about four hours Saturday, I had the entire house to myself.

I celebrated the other, high expectations version of Mother's Day on Sunday.  I spent the afternoon in Boston with my youngest and eldest, where we attended a little kids' lacrosse game (eldest is a coach) and ate a wonderful lunch of Mexican food while watching more Division I NCAA lacrosse playoffs.  After I got home, my middle child came over with her fiancé and we had a scrumptious dinner of baked haddock (they cooked).  I got three cards, had a fantastic day, got out in the sun, and sang Monty Python songs at the dinner table.

Sometimes life is good, and sometimes it's simply much, much better than good. 

Until next spring, may every day be Mother's Day.  Even Father's Day can (and probably is) Mother's Day.  After all, we know who really wears the pants in the family; if you don't know, just ask The Lumberjack.