Wednesday, May 8, 2013

VERMONT TRIP (NOT LIKE AN LSD TRIP ... REALLY ... WELL, MAYBE A LITTLE)



Ahhhh, my trip to Vermont. 

So much to tell, which I would've done already had I not been attached to a 33-page research paper that had to be filed by 9:00 Monday morning.  I wasn't sure I'd remember the particulars of the trip after so many days.  Lucky for us all I wrote it down while I was driving along at 75+ mph.  Of course, when I shared this fact in my writing class at grad school, the horrified look on all their faces told me that it probably wasn't a grand idea -- the sharing part, anyway.  I'm perfectly comfortable with the fact that I was taking notes while tooling along the interstate. 

After all, I am a professional.

Let's go back, back, back to last week's few hours of time, when I actually ask for (and receive) the day off to go to a lacrosse play-off game…

The first thing I do after leaving my street is run the train.  That's right, you heard me.  The gates are falling and it looks like a freight train is approaching.  Rather than sit and wait like a sane person would, I run the gates as they pop shut just behind my tail lights.  It's all good; a car coming eastbound does the same thing as I cross westbound.  We wave to each other, two nuts loose on the road, both silently thinking, "Thank God that idiot's going the other way."

A lot of good it does me.  I am immediately driving behind a sexy white Tiburon driven by the world's slowest driver.  If we were going any slower, I'd be in reverse.  Why own a sexy sports car if you're going to drive it like the elderly mini-bus?  I finally make my way to 93 north and weave my way across three lanes of light traffic.  It's not a bad drive so far, and I wonder briefly as I pass my son's college exit if I might also pass their team bus on the way to Vermont.  I am ridiculously early because I plan on meeting my cousin and his wife for lunch, and by meeting, I actually mean meeting for the first time.  Until a few months ago, neither of us knew the other existed.  My great-grandfather had two families.  Don't panic - it wasn't at the same time, and it was all perfectly legal.

As I pass just north of Manchester, I notice the signs for the toll booths.  I say to no one in particular, since the only person with me is Billy Connolly via my GPS, "When the hell did they put toll booths up on 93?"  Then I burst out laughing because I seem to have a mental block about this, and I can hear my kids' voices whining, "Maaaaaaaaa, you save this everrrrrrry time we drive through here."  Note to self:  There are toll booths on 93 north just past Manchester.

It is at this point that I notice my windshield has once again (as when I went to Albany for the St. Rose lacrosse game) become target practice for bugs.  Some of the bugs are so huge that I can hear their carcasses cartwheeling across the roof after being forcefully ejected from the front glass.  I am armed with a packet of Windex wipes; I'll wipe them all away when I stop at the Vermont border. 

I finally reach 89, which branches off from 93 and heads northwest.  I know I've reached 89 because my ears pop.  I don't think the altitude is that great.  Maybe it's the sound of my brain imploding when I see that it is 148 more miles to my next exit.  Pissah.  For anyone unfamiliar with route 89, there are two houses, a dog, three cows, and fifty trees, and that same scene moves on and on, over and over again, until the car reaches the state line.  (When Vermont arrives, it will be trees only that move along the scenic vista, but I'm ahead of myself.) 

Once in a while a panoramic glimpse of the mountains will open up, but never long enough for me to get the camera on the phone ready.  As my ears continue to pop, I am suddenly disappointed by the fact that I can no longer see the mountain view.  That is, until it dawns on me that the reason I cannot see the mountain is because I'm on the mountain.

When I pass the Wadleigh State Park exit, I yawn.  Boredom is starting to set in, and it doesn't help that the only radio stations currently within earshot are all country-western, an anomaly I've never been able to explain.  I mean, I lived in southern New Hampshire for a long time, and I don't recall a single one of my neighbors listening to banjo music, except maybe the MacHargs, but they weren't really neighbors and they lived out near the Cider Mill, so I blame the run-off from the apple presses.

When I get to New London, which is somewhere around exit #12, I notice the sign for the NH Park & Ride.  Seriously?  Where the hell are these commuters riding to… Montreal?  Almost immediately I pass a Pinto (the pony, not the car), and I wonder if this is the Park & Ride:  Park here, ride the Pinto around the corral a few times, then drive home.  I decide that this really isn't fair; after all, I know New Hampshire has some very populated areas . . . like Roxbury, Errol, Dummer, and Clarksville; if you add them all together, you almost have enough people to fill an entire movie theater, and that's saying something.

There's still snow up here; not real snow, but leftover man-made ski-snow.  The trails atop Mount Sunapee (and other nearby ski mountains) is clearly visible from a far distance, and that's not really too surprising.  What is surprising is the snow that's still on the side of Whaleback, a small ski area that sits in the valley next to the highway, so close to the traffic that if there were a car accident on the southbound side, the vehicles may well end up on the lift.

It is around this area that I notice the radio going in and out because even the country singers have abandoned the vicinity for civilization.  Now the only stations coming in are classical choral stations, and not the same one over and over but multiple original stations.  I like choral music, grew up singing the stuff, but the selections sound more like monasteries full of Valium addicts.  Couple that with the sign that claims I have just entered Vermont and am still 90 miles away from my destination, and desolation starts to set in. 

I am in the Green Mountain State by 10:00 a.m., crossing the Connecticut River, which reminds me that my father wanted his ashes dumped into that river, but further south in Greenfield, MA where he grew up.  I really cannot imagine that he liked it there all that much since he moved away and we never ever went back except for burials in the family plot.  The box with my father's ashes goes back and forth between my two brothers' houses, and he gets moved every time one of the wives discovers The Package.  The euphemism is, "Dad's on vacation in New York (or Pennsylvania, depending on who made the most recent spotting)."  Note to self:  We really should do something about Dad.

About this time a bird shits on my windshield.  I figure it's also about time to do a combo bug-doodoo windshield cleaning, so after making the first of multiple White River crossings, I search for a rest area.   I note the sign for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and decide this would be an interesting viewing.  I've stopped here several times before on other trips, but I've always had children with me.  This will be the first time I've stopped alone and will actually be able to walk the memorial by myself.  I pull into the Sharon rest area and realize that the eighteen minutes I've managed to gain during my travels is about to be lost.  I would've gained a few more minutes had construction not slowed my down.  For some reason, miles and miles of route 89 are shut down to one lane for construction with nary a vehicle nor worker in sight as far as the eye can see.  I snap a few pictures of the memorial, use the restroom though I don't really have to but decide a PBE -- Preventive Bladder Emptying -- would be wise as it is 74 miles to the next toilet facilities. 


After scraping the bugs and poop off the front glass, I am ready to go again.  I try the radio one more time as I reach Bethel, hoping I am far enough north to get Canadian radio, or at least something French.  Instead I get Nelly: If you wanna go and take a ride with me … hey, must be the money!  Nelly quickly fades out and eventually is replaced by French-Canadian radio.  Finally, the true Vermont experience.  It's also around this point of the drive that I realize Billy, my GPS, hasn't spoken to me in a very long time and probably won't be talking anytime soon.  Note to self -- Contact TomTom with idea that GPS should check in every 50 miles just to say hello.   

By 10:48 I have reached Montpelier, which really doesn't help me at all since I'm on my way to South Burlington to meet my cousin for lunch.  I'm about 40 miles away from my first destination at the Windjammer Restaurant, but I'm making great time.  At least I had been until I see the old man.  Actually, I'm not entirely sure he is any old man -- he looks just like skinny Santa Claus, and he's pedaling a bicycle.  This must be where Santa vacations while the elves all fly down to Kentucky, dress up like jockeys, and ride horses in the Derby.  Yet this is not the strangest sight I'm going to see along the road. 

That sight is reserved for my arrival in South Burlington.  When I enter Burlington's outskirts, I am met by whales.  Not whales.  Tails.  Whales' tails, sticking out of the … dirt.  There are two whale tails jutting into the sunny air from a mound of grass and dried earth.  Whales.  WHALES.  In Burlington, VT.  200 miles from the nearest ocean coastline.  I find this almost as disturbing as the team name of LeMoyne in Syracuse, NY:  The Dolphins.  Dudes, you're 300 effing miles from the coast; you are so NOT the Dolphins.  But I digress.  Whales.

No sooner does my brain hit overload between the whales and the dolphins that I realize I am at destination number one about twenty minutes early.  I could go into downtown Burlington, except I got off the exit going the wrong direction -- well, the right direction for my lunch date, but the wrong direction to snap a few pictures of Burlington.  So I head past the airport, take a gander at some planes, and head back to wonderful lunch with my newest cousin and his wife.  Honestly, it feels like I've known them for years -- I guess there's no denying blood, and really, we're such an odd family, who else would claim us?  Note to self:  Thank Peter for being seen in public with me.

After lunch I have about forty minutes to get over to St. Michaels, which is one simple exit north of the restaurant.  This seems easy.  Except… except that St. Michael's college apparently hates athletes who actually play sports outside.  They have a lovely outdoor sports complex with absolutely no place to park.  It takes me half of my allotted spare time to find a parking space where I won't be towed, a spot which, it turns out, is closer to my house back in Massachusetts than it actually is to the playing field.  I need a Sherpa to weave my way through the campus to the lacrosse field. 

Luckily, I spot some parents of senior players, and I figure they must've been here before, so I trail along behind them pretending I belong, ducking behind bushes to hide every time they turn around.   I would never make a good spy - my attempts at remaining incognito are a miserable failure.  The parents are nice enough to show me where the bathrooms are (also miles from the field) and the back door of the building that leads to the campus quad area (which coincidentally you can exit but not enter, so if you need a toilet during the game, it will be a thirty minute round-trip walk).

 Now, when I say "quad area," what I really mean is "Home to a giamundo pile of cow shit" area.  Like, I am not even joking.  This pile of dung has a higher elevation than some of the mountains I passed on the way here.  I see some students practicing their mountain climbing skills in full gear on this huge mound of moo-poo.  One of them plants a flag at the top, claiming it for St. Mike's, and saying a little doo-doo prayer for safe rappelling back to level ground.  In fact, it is the biggest collection of cow crap I have seen since watching a bus load of Japanese tourists pull over to take each other's pictures with the pile that was taller than the barn at the farm next to the Landing School in Arundel, Maine.  That pile in Maine pales (in size, not color) in comparison to this magnificent Vermont college specimen.

The game is not nearly as eventful as the ride, thank goodness.  It's a well-matched, evenly-played lacrosse play-off, but, alas, we do not leave as the victors, which is somehow okay.  This means I won't be driving to Long Island on Friday, but that I will be picking my boy up from his college dorm to come home for the summer.  We throw the kids a decent party in the lot, coincidentally right next to my car.  Apparently parking in New Jersey for a game in Burlington, VT is exactly where I'm supposed to be, and the bus joins me there.  For once, I'm in the right place at the right time.  And then …

Then … it's time to reverse the trip.  I won't bore you with the details because it's really not as exciting a trip back as it has been there.  I was smart enough not to drink any beer or any liquid of any kind because apparently it's only 74 miles between toilets coming northbound.  Southbound on 89, there are ZERO toilets and maybe one rest area, which is actually a patch of dirt that fits possibly five vehicles.  My windshield is again covered with suicidal bugs and errant bird shit.  The evening birds seem to poop a lot more often than the morning birds, and I'm thinking maybe there should be less French fries left on the ground at the local Mickey D's, if there even is one, because these birds seem like greased-up champion digesters. 

I get boxed in on 89 at one point because the truck in front of me is going 60 mph, and the van next to me doesn't understand the state law "Right lane for passing ONLY."  I finally gain about ten feet of space and hit the gas on my Dodge, which does exactly what Dodges are supposed to do:  It accelerates with a shot and creates a huge roar as it does so, right as I pass a Vermont state trooper (also in a Dodge).  Either he sees what I do on the radar and forgives my violation as part of some mercy rule, or he is sleeping at the wheel because I am easily doing 85+ mph. 

My phone dies at 7:41 p.m., and I fumble with the phone charger, finally making contact as I hit 93 at 7:47.  My aim is to make it to familiar territory before sundown.  After passing through the New Hampshire toll that I am once again surprised to see (but have money ready this time), the sun sets around Manchester, and I am good to go.  I'm feeling even better when I pass over the Massachusetts state line and the radio picks up Power Ocho Ciento, the Spanish station.  Ahhhh.  Familiar sounds.  Finally.

I arrive home in record time, in my driveway by 8:30 p.m. from a 5:50 departure time.  Of course, having gassed up in Burlington before lunch and without the benefit of potties along the entire way south, there is no need to stop for anything, not even the Vermont statie.  I didn't even stop to transcribe my notes -- I just kept flipping the Mapquest directions over to a new page and wrote all over the backs of everything.  Looking at my scribblings now, it looks like a bunch of gobbly-gook, and I should probably figure out the "record" device on my phone.  It's all good, though.  I have pages of notes, a tale to tell, and I didn't crash my car nor get a ticket. 

I may not text and drive, but, dagnabbit, I can write and drive.  But kids, don't try this at home nor on the road -- leave this to seasoned writers.

After all, I am a professional.

(PS - In truth, Vermont has more than trees, the pile of dung was only about thirty feet high, and I was probably doing over 90 mph when I approached the statie.  No sense in ruining a good tale with a little honesty.)