Tuesday, May 28, 2013

LAST THOUGHTS ON MEMORIAL DAY ... I PROMISE



I'm on a journey to start running.  It's a semi-serious journey. 

I really do want to start running, but time is not my friend.  Neither is my knee, my hip, my lung strength, nor my bladder.  I have a max capacity of three miles before knees and hips start to creak, squeak, tear, or moan.  Trying to walk or run with me as your sidekick is like being accompanied by a box of Rice Krispies cereal.  After I've snapped, crackled, and popped every movable joint below the navel, I'm hit with the sudden realization that no matter how little or much water I've consumed, three miles is my bladder's limit.  Maybe four.  Never five.  And thanks to my multiple bouts with pneumonia and a strange tendency toward exercise-induced asthma, I'm huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf about to blow down a house, except that there's no actual air power behind it.

The other day my daughter and I found a great training circuit.  There aren't too many inclines, and those we encounter are relatively mild.  Our walk-run cycles don't happen in any major metropolitan areas where too much traffic will gawk, and we finish up in the cemetery.  That means we can stretch and look like dorks without too many people actually seeing us stretch and look like dorks.

Today we take a different turn as we enter the cemetery, and it forces our last jogging cycle to be up a small hill.  The grade of the slant isn't too terrible, but our legs for some reason are totally spent.  It feels like our own miniature Heartbreak Hill.  When we get to the top and realize the whole circuit (except for cool down and stretch) is complete, I proudly point out that we ran faster than anybody in the entire place.  Of course, it being a cemetery, the irony isn't lost, but I know she won't chase me down and beat on me for my black humor since we are both ready to sit (or fall) down.

We walk along until the app on my daughter's phone tells us to stretch.  We put down our water bottles and… realize we are in the military part of the cemetery.  Considering how expansive the place is and our round-about route, it seems fitting that on Memorial Day we are stretching and looking out over dozens of flags, some wreaths, and several interesting monuments.  I wish for my camera but settle for daughter's cell phone.  She takes a few pictures for me, and we're off again, not running, but finally on our way home.

Moments like this are brought to us by soldiers who fight to and swear to uphold our freedoms.  It is both a spiritual and physical honor to be where we are at this time and in this place.  I promise you that these are my last Memorial Day musings until next year.  I also promise that I will never forget this moment, at least not until next year when a new Memorial Day memory pushes it aside, shelves it like a photograph in a scrap book.

It's all about the journey.  Somehow my legs and body aren't so tired anymore.