Wednesday, May 15, 2013

EXERCISE INERTIA



Exercise.  Feels good when I'm doing it, feels even better when I'm done, and feels awesome when I don't have to do it at all. 

I'm not in terrible shape.  I've always been reasonably active, and I don't mind building up a decent sweat as long as it's not when I'm dressed to the nines attending some social event or at work in front of the students.   Next year my classroom will have no windows due to the construction, so I'm truly wondering how I'm supposed to handle that when the little cherubs arrive directly from gym class.  I have already checked into Lysol and Fabreeze at bulk.  Between their sweat and my sweat, we're going to stink until winter sets in.

 Damn.  I'm off topic again.  Where was I?  Oh, yeah.  Exercise.  Seriously, though, once I get motivated, I'm really all about the movement. 

It's the getting motivated part I seem to have trouble with lately. 

When I used to go to judo classes, it was easy to stay motivated because the boys had class first then I had class.  I was already there, so why not.  Before I tried judo (which I wasn't very good at, but I really liked attempting it), I took cardio-kickboxing in one room while the boys took judo classes in the next room, so that was perfect.  I got to hit things, sometimes even things that looked like people, sometimes the instructors would let me give the human-like bag (whose official name is Bob) other names (like Tammy or … Bob …) to really make me happy. 

My daughter was not a judoka; she was a gymnast.  I had been a gymnast for a few years, not a very good gymnast, but after a bad accident involving a mini-trampoline and a concrete wall, I decided that sport wasn't for me, so I stuck to the full-contact stuff.  That probably explains why I gave up soccer and basketball, too -- I couldn't legally rip the face off my opponents when they pissed me off, which happened with frightening regularity. In judo I never minded getting thrown around or choked, and I wasn't even that offended when Dan went in wrong for o goshi and broke my foot in three places.  Judo is generally a very safe sport for coordinated people, one of whom I am not.

But it's tough to get myself psyched up for this solitary exercising shit.  I mean, let's be honest here: It's frikkin' boring.  When I go to the gym alone, I have a routine, I don't mind being in the weight room (note to men: take the 100-pound weights OFF the Smith Machine so little people like me can use it, too), but running on the treadmill is boring as all hell.  I'm lucky if I can make ten minutes before I'm ready to jump out of my own skin.


Today my daughter comes to the gym with me.  She is trying out a new exercise program, and I am just overjoyed to have some company, even though she's mostly plugged into her headphones for instructions to help her with the new routine.  I am impressed with her progress.  She's working a new interval routine to get herself running.  While she works away, I stay on the treadmill next to her.  Thanks to her, I run 1.25 miles and walk another .75, and I don't even notice the time I've spent.  Then we go to pilates, and my feet only seize up twice during class.  Not bad for two people who haven't really been near the gym since the spring semester started and we both found ourselves knee-deep in college course work.

I come home with a salad and half a tuna sandwich.  The salad gets eaten immediately; the tuna will be tomorrow's lunch.  And yes, I go for an ice cold beer and a handful of Cheezits after the salad, you know, to wash down all that roughage and stuff. 

So much for the exercising.    

Wait a sec, though.  Now that I think about it and after that beer bottle is rinsed out, I have to admit that I really do feel better.  Hey, who knew?  Exercising truly does have some benefits.  Maybe I'll exercise tomorrow, too, and maybe even two more days after that.  I mean, there are still three beers left in the fridge, you know.

Hmmmm.  This may be an exercise routine I can live with, after all.  Salud (not salad), everybody!