Thursday, May 16, 2013

LET THEM EAT CAKE



There is a woman at work, a good pal of mine, who stops by the teachers' room every morning and asks, "Is there any cake?"  Of course there is never any cake, but she checks just the same, convinced that if every morning started out with cake, every morning would be fantastic.  Life would be better if served with cake.

Personally, I think she's onto something here.

Imagine how happy we would all be if every work day started with cake?  I'm a chocolate cake aficionado, fudge cake with chocolate fudge frosting to be more precise, but there are times when I will eat any damn cake that is put in front of me.

It is another morning of state testing, one of the many days we dread for various reasons not the least of which is having our lunch schedule all screwed up, and I walk in with my colleague.  She makes a beeline for the break room, examining the empty table:  "Is there any cake?"  Nope; no cake today.  She knows this; she always knows this.

However, at lunch one of the social studies teachers pulls out a covered container from the fridge.  It is loaded with leftover cake, a My Little Pony cake, a marbled cake covered with multi-hued buttercream frosting.  She tells us it is leftover from her daughter's party.

Cake?!  CAKE!!!!  Holy smokes, there really IS cake.

By god, my coworker is totally correct -- Life is better if served with cake. 


(As far as I know, a piece of cake made its way to her classroom.  I'm not totally certain; I went into sugar shock within minutes from the frosting.)

Perhaps every morning we should run into work, wherever it may be, and ask, "Is there any cake?"  Maybe there will be, and chances are there won't be, but it's a helluva way to start a morning.  Optimism at its best. 

I do love cake, but I love my coworker more.  Sal, you totally rock.