Thursday, May 30, 2013

KILLING OFF SOME BRAIN CELLS THAT I CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE



Today I think I killed a bunch of brain cells. 

Well, I didn't kill them; the construction workers did.  The crew worked at my windows again today, and the excavators and shovels and loaders were swinging so close that the kids could put their faces against the panes and risk having plexi-glass shatter all over them. 

It was actually quite fascinating, like being on an old Merry-Mixer (aka "Psychodrome") at the amusement park, carriages flying directly at one another only to pull away inches from contact. 

The fumes, however, were not nearly so visually intoxicating; they were physically intoxicating.  As a matter of fact, the fumes in my room were so bad today that I was dizzy, almost fell over in the hallway, and damn near hurled in the nurse's office. 

I am not prone to melodrama, but my day started with a fingertip (not mine) being split wide open in a locker incident.  The student never made a sound, just grabbed his hand, gaped as if trying to catch his breath, then proceeded to spurt blood all over the adjoining lockers, the floor, and anything and everything in his path.  By 7:55 a.m., I was quite full of melodrama, thank you kindly.  So when I insist that I was really hurting today by 1:30, I'm not stretching the truth in the slightest.  In fact, judging by the adjoining classrooms and their occupants' reactions, I'm probably downplaying it quite a bit. 

Because the machinery was up against my windows and no one else's today, I was in the direct path of the exhaust.  The good news is that I had no students in my room after 12:45 today.  The bad news is that I had work that absolutely had to be finished and sucked in the fumes for another two hours before I could breathe in fresh air.

I understand progress.  I like progress.  If I stay with this job, I will benefit greatly from this progress by having a newly remodeled classroom connected to the brand new school that the crew is building … outside my window… where construction workers lean against the windows and say such things as, "Oh, those motherfucking Bruins…" completely oblivious to the fact that twelve and thirteen year olds are on the other side of the flimsy partition.

The language I can tolerate; but if these fumes don't stop killing off my brain cells, there may not be much left of my brain to be able to teach anybody anything. 

Progress is great; Brain cells are better.  I'd like to find a way to keep both going for just a smidgen longer.