Saturday, May 25, 2013

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND



 Rain.  Rain rain rain rain rain - as sure as my odds are at betting, if there's a long weekend to be had, it'll rain.

The one and only party to which I have been invited has been cancelled.  It's supposed to be crappy for the next few days, and nobody wants to be stuck in a humid house with guests who can't behave themselves when in enclosed spaces.  (We'll go invade the yard when the weather clears.)

It is Memorial Day weekend, and in addition to paying homage to those who have served, and those who continue to serve, our country, I will not abstain from BBQ sauce.  Very shortly the crock pot will be plugged in, and the slow cooking of the pulled pork shall begin.  I have fresh rolls ready and a Vadalia onion with my name on it.

The best part about this weekend, though, is the chance to recognize our military.  My niece the Marine will be visiting home (in Maine) for a few weeks.  Also home (but in Tennessee to his post and not truly back to Massachusetts) is my friend's son, who has just returned from his first tour of duty in Afghanistan.  Welcome home, Katie; Welcome home and back, Michael.  There are so many more of you out there, too, so don't think I've forgotten you (Shelly, Will, Shari, Bob, friends, friends of friends, relatives, relatives of relatives, relatives of friends, friends of relatives…)  You are my heroes; my BBQ sauce and I salute you.

But this rain.  Ugh.  I used to love to listen to it against the windows, the roof, the ground.  Now I simply find the sound of rain to be annoying and meddlesome.  It vexes my sleep.  It messes with my metabolism.  It nullifies and alters plans.  It is, in short, annoying.

This weekend if the rain should annoy you, or parties get altered or moved, or the BBQ sauce isn't quite right, or your grill gets drizzled on, or you lose your cable reception and cannot watch the NCAA lacrosse tournament (although that just sounds like a horror movie in the making), give yourself a dose of reality.  Go talk to a veteran, preferably one who has seen the disturbing visions at the end of a scope, and get some perspective.  My dad was a WWII vet - I heard some of the stories while growing up.  I heard enough to know he did something I never could ; he entered a warn-torn country for the greater good.

You may not want to salute the flag, but as long as you're in my presence and within my eye-shot and ear-shot, you'll at the very least respect those who do want to salute, those who've served their country and those who continue to serve. 

You may not respect your government, but respect your country and those who stand on the front lines to keep this country safe and strong.

Have a happy, blessed, and introspective holiday weekend.