Saturday, June 1, 2013

MONSTER IN THE MAKE-UP DRAWER



My daughter might want to stay away from my nail polish for a while.  The nail polish is in the same drawer as my make-up, my hair brushes, and the scissors for when my bangs start to grow crooked.  It is this drawer that gapes open this morning when the disaster happens, which is why my daughter might want to stay away from my nail polish.

But I digress.

I have great intentions of getting to work early.  It's going to be blazingly hot, and I have decided that I'm changing the daily assignment for all of my classes.  No need to stand up and teach and have them all talking and spreading more hot air into the classroom.  It's bad enough that I cannot open the windows because of the construction noise and dust and the workers' sometime salty language.  Besides, my son is away, so I don't have to worry about moving cars in order to escape this morning. 

Yup, my plan is to get out of the house about fifteen minutes ahead of schedule.  I pack a light lunch: watermelon and vanilla yogurt (which I discover later is strawberry-banana yogurt that clashes terribly with watermelon), some wheat thins, and a snack package of Milanos; truly, it is the lunch of champions.  I already have today's outfit picked out, too: denim capris and a tank top (within the appropriate three-finger shoulder rule so I don't get sent home for dress-code violation) along with the sandals I got last year at DSW.  My hair is dry, deodorant's on, I'm nearly ready, and I'm almost beating the clock.

That's when I spot IT.

(This is the part where my daughter should probably turn away.)

IT is a spider crawling on the wall by the light switch.  IT is a small bodied thing with long thin legs, and it resembles a mid-sized Daddy Longlegs. 

I could smack it with my hand.  I mean, I'm not a huge fan of bugs, but I don't mind swatting the ones that don't sting back … with the exception of silverfish, which are the Devil's spawn.  I have a wad of paper towel nearby from wiping down the post-shower mirror, so I use that in my stealth attack on IT. 

The problem is that IT, skinny as IT is, survives the initial smooshing and falls onto the counter between the cup dispenser and the hand lotion.  I attack a second time, more boldly this time.  When I lift the paper to inspect my handiwork, the damn spider continues to crawl very quickly, and plops into the open drawer. 

I see IT scrambling between the container of colored elastics (which are useless since I've cut off all my hair) and the two small sample-sized bottles of anti-Floyd-the-Fibroid medication.  Squish!  Squish!  Squish!  Goddamnit if IT isn't still running around the drawer like some kind of miniature alien minotaur in a maze. 

I look at the clock; I look in the drawer.  I look at the clock; I look in the drawer.

Screw IT.  I have to get to work.

I apply my make-up, which is minimalist so it takes all of a minute, pile the stuff back into the drawer with IT, and shut everything up tightly for the day.  IT can crawl around in there all damn day as far as I am concerned. 

It is now after 7:00 a.m.  Not only have I not left the house early, but I'm running late.

Little fucker.


I forget to warn my daughter that there is a spider setting up house in my make-up drawer, a drawer in which she sometimes looks for nail polish.  The initial disaster happens when IT falls into the make-up drawer in the first place.  The second disaster will happen if my daughter actually sees IT while holding a sharp bathroom implement like the bangs-scissors or the splinter-tweezers or the nail clippers or my extremely well-honed lipstick, which has been chiseled into deadly precision by overuse.

I have great intentions to get to work early.  I have great intentions of killing off IT before IT falls into the open drawer.  Neither happens exactly as I planned, so if anyone sees my daughter today, you might want to pre-warn her to use her own nail polish (which she usually does) for a few days. 

There's a monster in my make-up drawer that has already survived multiple assaults. 

You've been forewarned.