Thursday, June 27, 2013

FIRST DAY OF VACATION IS A HIP-BUSTER



FIRST DAY OF SUMMER VACATION

5:15 a.m.         Alarms goes off
                        (Hey, it's the first day of vacation.  Might as well get up and enjoy it!)

5:45 a.m.         Dressed and ready for the gym
                        (Put out the clothes last night so I can't change my mind.)

5:55 a.m.         Daughter arrives so we can go to the gym
                        (We are wearing identical color combination.  I have new running sneakers.)

6:05 a.m.         Arrive at the gym
                        (Daughter forgets headphones.  She will have to talk to me instead.)

6:06 a.m.         Stationary bike 2+ miles; circuit training; lift weights
                        (Avoid Smith Machine today in case I hurt myself in front of the guys.)

6:50 a.m.         Stand up from weight bench and something goes kaflooey in my right hip
                        (So much for avoiding hurting myself in front of the guys.)

6:55 a.m.         Attempt to fold myself into Daughter's compact, low-to-the-ground car
                        (Laugh, it's okay.  It must be funny to watch.)

7:00 a.m.         Attempt to get out of Daughter's car by hanging on to the door for dear life
                        (Okay, don't laugh.  This part isn't funny.  I actually cannot get out of the car.)

7:05 a.m.         Start swallowing Naproxen
                        (It's the "other little blue pill" -- you know, the one that actually works.)

7:30 a.m.         Hobble to the door to wish Daughter a good day at work
                        (She is still laughing at me.  I don't blame her.  This is sickly humorous.)

7:45 a.m.         Look up phone number for chiropractor, just in case
                        (Self-treat first; Professional help second.)

7:55 a.m.         Attempt to walk off injury
                        (My mantra even when I sliced my foot in half:  "Walk it off!")

8:00 a.m.         Sit on the couch and watch a repeat of NCIS
                        (Hip only hurts when standing, walking, or bending … or breathing)

9:00 a.m.         Attempt to stand and walk to kitchen
                        (I teeter and resemble a 3-footed armadillo tottering toward a rollover.)

9:15 a.m.         Sit at the computer
                        (Chair is high enough that I can catapult myself to a standing position.)
                        (If not, chair has wheels.  I'll find a way to get around.)

10:30 a.m.       Make a vanilla shake
                        (Pretend I am making a breakfast shake for son but make a double batch.)

12:00 p.m.       Sit at kitchen table and eat crackers and cheese
                        (Watch some HGTV because the Hernandez arrest coverage is boring.)

1:00 p.m.         Stretch hip out.
                        (Yeah.  That didn't go over too well.  Many, many swears spoken.)

2:00 p.m.         Gather recommendations for OTC pain meds.  Motrin wins.
                        (Never taken Motrin that I'm aware of, so I've no idea what it is exactly.)

3:00 p.m.         Drive up to CVS and hobble to the pain relief aisle in search of Motrin.
                        (No Motrin on shelves.  Apparently there has been a recall of Motrin.)
                        (Discover Motrin is 200 mg Ibuprofen.  Buy shampoo instead.)

4:30 p.m.         Sister calls to check on my hip.
                        (We both laugh because I deserve it.  Hell, it is pretty damn funny.)

5:00 p.m.         Ibuprofen ingested. 
                        (Margarita pouch defrosting.)

6:00 p.m.         400 mg of ibuprofen + 1 slightly frozen margarita = Range of Motion
                        (Not ready for a marathon, but I could run from an attacker if necessary.)

7:00 p.m.         Resting on the couch twelve hours post hip snafu
                        (Okay, actually I'm sleeping.  Is it bedtime yet?  Jeezus, I am old.)

AND THAT, MY FRIENDS, IS A PLAY-BY-PLAY OF MY FIRST DAY OF SUMMER VACATION.  --  THE END