Friday, June 14, 2013

PUTTING ON AN IMPROMTU SHOW FOR THE WORKERS



I am trying to pack up my room at school, which would be a no-brainer under normal conditions.  I usually pack boxes and pile them onto the wide windowsills by climbing up onto various pieces of furniture (usually student desks).  It's a sport I have perfected by moving my classroom every year or two since I first arrived at this school. 

When I start ascending the clumsily positioned make-shift ladders, I usually do it during a planning period or a lunch break or after school in case the contraptions should collapse and I need medical attention.  (Think:  "Help, I've fallen … and I can't get up!")  Honestly, this has almost happened several times when chairs have folded on me, desks have shifted under me, or I take an errant step by forgetting which piece of furniture I'm on and which way I've turned it to access the sills. 

I have bruised myself, twisted myself, cracked myself, and flattened myself in these awkward and improvised attempts to pack up the hundreds and hundreds of reading books and text books that I haul from one school year into the next.  I have also dropped fully-packed boxes onto my bare feet.  Bare feet are often better for gripping than my work shoes, which favor fashion over function much of the time.

In short, packing up my room is not only an arduous process, it makes me look like a total fool.

Today I discover just how difficult this process is going to be this June as I pull the shades high and start lifting the boxes up to the sills.  I realize the one factor that I took out of the "Don't Look Like a Complete Ass" process of the whole packing-up routine:  The Construction Workers.

I have six windows in my room.  Three of these windows are at stomach level, are about one-by-two feet each, and are cloudy plexi-glass.  The other three of these windows are giant see-through screens of voyeurism, about seven-by-seven feet, clear glass, and absolutely spotless from inside to outside.  No need to smile and pose for Candid Camera; apparently I am on Candid Camera every day already.  The workers, who stand as close as a foot from my windows, will have the pleasure of watching me climb Furniture Mountain, stake my flag, and possibly suffer the same fate as George Mallory did on Everest.

I refrain from climbing on chairs or desks today and load eight boxes of reading books onto the far window ledge.  Thankfully I still have some strength and skills left from a few of the ridiculous (for me at my age) sporting endeavors I have entertained over the years -- cardio-kickboxing, weight training, and judo -- so I was able to lift the boxes up and over my head when piling on the second level against the glass.

Look, I have nothing against the workers.  After all, their port-a-potty was so close for a while that I think I got to know them just a little too well.  But having them see me, even if accidentally, climbing barefoot across Dr. Seuss-like apparatuses with armloads full of packed school materials might not be beneficial to any of us.  I'll feel stupid, and they'll be horrified by my unathletic and totally disgraceful displays of uncoordination.

The good news, though, is that they'll all not only see me crash and burn, but they'll probably hear it, as well.

This is a positive thing.

You see, when I start weakly yelling, "Help … I've fallen … and I'm buried under boxes and can't get up," there will be a whole tag team of workers to call it in. 

Of course, they'll have to stop laughing first, but I can take it.  I consider it port-a-potty payback for all the times I caught their eyes staring longingly at the extra roll of toilet paper I keep on the shelf for the kids' noses during allergy season.  Perhaps we can barter a trade -- a few squares of TP for them not posting videos of my theatrics online.

Seems like a fair trade to me.