Sunday, June 9, 2013

WISHING YOU 8:22



I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and look at the clock.  I groan.

I set the clock for 5:15.  I used to set it for 5:05 so it would say "SOS" when I woke up, but I also set my clock ahead by about seven minutes, so I figured I must really be waking up before 5:00, and that just wasn't working for me.  Now I set the alarm for 5:15 so the clock still says something (SIS) when I look at it but cuts me closer to the accurate 5:05 than the alarm actually would.

I often awaken anytime after 4:30 but before the 5:15 alarm.  That bugs me.  I hate losing sleep when I tend to get so little of it.  Generally I don't sleep well and piece together about five to six hours of sleep a night.  The other night I stayed up to watch the Bruins play into double-overtime.  The game ended around 12:20 a.m., then I couldn't get to sleep until after 1:00 a.m.  A couple of the students tried pushing the envelope that morning.  I grinned sinisterly and simply dead-panned, "Go ahead.  I'm operating on four hours of sleep.  Make my day."

So when I see that the clock says 5:00 a.m., I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed.  I've been ripped off of fifteen minutes of sleep, the way I look at it, anyway.  I hesitate for a minute, wondering if I should get up or wait until the radio kicks in automatically.  I briefly start deciding what I'll wear to work -- Is it a jeans day; How hot is it supposed to be; How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?  

My mind chews on these questions for what seems like an eternity.  I'm thinking I should probably turn on the television to get the weather report.  I should probably get up and shut off the alarm.  I should probably… I should probably … I … should … probably ….

Muddahfuggah.

It's the weekend. Hey!  It's the weekend!

Screw this!  I turn over and go back to sleep for three more hours.  When I wake up again, it's 8:22.  8:22 doesn't say anything like 5:05 nor 5:15 do, maybe gzz, but that's not really a word nor does it stand for anything recognizable.  That's what makes it so great. 

I hereby declare 8:22 to be code for "Slept great - weekend is here."

Wishing you all a happy 8:22.