Tuesday, June 25, 2013

FLAMING HOT FIELD DAY



What a day.  I probably should've stayed under the covers.

It is hot today -- bloody, horribly, humidly, unbearably hot.  I am already dripping sweat in my classroom by 7:30.  I have a trivia game for the kids, and my first period class shows little interest.  Four cherubs rip up the paper and throw it in the recycling bin.  I make them do it again with a minute left of class.  I hope they are late to math because now I hate them.  Okay, I don't really… Oh, screw it.  They ruined my fun; I hate them.

We are having shortened classes today so we can go to field day down at the local park.  It's going to be about 94 today (my car says 96), humid, and not weather anyone should be running around in, but, of course, we are.  But I digress.  By the third shortened class, I feel like I might vomit.  I turn one of my fans toward me and let it blow on me until I start to feel better.  I must've turned ten shades of green because I see a couple of the students looking at me strangely.  I gasp out, "I feel sick."  They nod and return to their trivia challenge, unconcerned that their teacher is ill yet secretly hoping I'll hurl so they have a good story for the park later.

Speaking of the park later, my class is the latest of later because the school is one bus short, and somehow my homeroom draws the short straw.  As I am yelling at the usual suspects, the bus driver addresses the children by name; alas, we have drawn the lucky driver who is stuck picking up and dropping off the worst of the worst of the worst behaved out of my bunch (which really isn't horrible) and knows each one's name, address, and probably even serial number.  We are the last of more than four hundred staff and students to arrive at the park.

While at Field Day in the park, I am monitoring the soccer field.  Since I am already draining every ounce of water I've had all day, I decide the best way to play is to let them all have at it so I can catch my breath..  "Who's on a team?" they ask.  You all are.  I am stuck in the sun for more than two hours, just melting like old wax crayons left out on a hot day. 

Because we were the last bus to Field Day, we get to be the first back.  Doesn't matter; two girls hold us all up, and we end up melting away on the bus, instead.  After dismissing the students and putzing around the room, I am ready to go home and shower, which I do.

At first, everything is fine.  Then, a rip-roaring headache starts its attack.  About twenty minutes after that, I hear thunder … very close thunder.  The storm isn't even on the radar, and yet here it is.  Turns out we are in an electrical vortex that lasts two hours and just keeps coming at us and coming at us.  Normally this would be considered a good thing -- time to read or sit still, which I rarely have time to do anymore.  Tonight, though, is game #6 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  It is still thundering at 8:00.  

I am also trying to run laundry because I would like to wear tomorrow the bra that I completely sweated through all day today.  I finally wrap everything up, attempt to watch the hockey game, and find myself dozing off.  And I still haven't eaten, now that I think of it. 

I am not going to make it; I am finally going to crash and burn. 

Yes, indeed, one of these days when I should've stayed under the covers … but didn't.