Wednesday, June 19, 2013

LOSING MY LIST AND MY MARBLES



I don't know what the frig is the matter with me.

I have put off grocery shopping for over a week, but I have been madly making little lists of things I want to add to my main list when I do finally go.  I am thinking about going today, but I have lots of correcting to finish up, and it's raining out.  Normally the rain isn't a deterrent; I'm not going to melt ala Wicked Witch of the West.  But I am wearing a dress, pump shoes, and the temperature has managed to drop like crazy during the early afternoon so my light sweater is no longer substantial enough to keep frostbite at bay.

I actually thought about going several times before this, but I keep losing the lists.  I put them in my backpack to take to work, but they keep getting lost.  I lost them last Wednesday then found them, lost them again Thursday and found them later, lost them Friday and found them Tuesday on the floor at school (must've been attached to something I took out of my bag).  I am reasonably positive that I have them inside the backpack when I get home so that I can actually make a list, a real list, one that includes all the essentials like toilet paper, deodorant, and Cheez Its.

I sit down, ready to compile my final list, confident that everything including trash bags and Cocoa Krispies will not be forgotten.  I open my bag to take out the lists and …

Nothing.

That's right, damnit, I lost the lists.  AGAIN.  I lost the Post-It notes, the various scraps of paper, and the original one on lined paper.  Gone.  All of it just GONE.

I know that if I go to the grocery store now, I'm going to forget something like I did last Friday when I went out for Wheat Thins and came home with Nilla Wafers.  Although it has been years, maybe even decades since I have eaten Nilla Wafers, they are surprisingly tasty, even in place of salty crackers.  But, Nilla Wafers?  Not on my list.

Now I have to try and recreate my list and hope that the teeny scraps in the huge pile of other scraps have made it through unscathed.  I hope to be able to add things I have forgotten, like toothpaste and laundry detergent, things from the original list that I have since forgotten existed.

No matter.  Except that I am obsessed with making certain I haven't forgotten any key items.  I sit down to make the list and decide …

Oh, what the hell difference will one more day make.  Maybe the lists will turn up one more time and I can do this without injuring my brain and shaky short-term memory.  Besides, I hear it might be sunny later.  I'm not sure that's grocery shopping weather, anyway.