Thursday, June 20, 2013

INVASION OF THE BRAIN SNATCHERS


I get an email at 2:18 p.m., one minute after the official end of the school day, that my schedule for tomorrow is going into the toilet because we're going to spontaneously do a fifteen-minute activity with the entire grade.  I'm all for fun and giggles, but this interruption happens as I am going into the final three days of teaching a unit, and I literally cannot spare the "fifteen" (when they say "fifteen," they actually mean "forty-five") minutes to do what can easily be accomplished during lunch.

After going from zero to tantrum in less than five seconds, my frustration explodes.  Grades close Friday.  I have some students in the borderline zone, and now I have to scrap the unit that might have been able to bring these kids out of the breakdown lane and back into the passing lane.  I let fly, and for those who know me, you know that means every swear word I have ever been taught in multiple languages is spilling endlessly, tirelessly, and eloquently out of my petite but powerful mouth. 

Later, on the way to the grocery store (because I actually found all my little lists and turned them into one giant list), my blood pressure starts to come down.  Why am I fighting this battle?  Why am I trying to educate kids and get students to pass when it seems like all we're supposed to be doing is patting them on the back, telling them how wonderful they all are, and handing them all trophies?

It suddenly dawns on me that I am Donald Sutherland.  Stay with me here, folks. 

You see, I am one of those who "stays awake."  Remember the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers?  Yup, just like that.  I see people's minds snapping all around me, drinking the Kool-Aid of No Child Left Behind and the National CORE Curriculum movement and the national PARCC test that says your kid in Massachusetts needs to be as smart (or as dumb) as the kids in Idaho, and vice versa.  It frightens the hell out of me, and I have been swimming, swimming, swimming against the rip tide that says, "Don't give homework to the kids, make sure you teach them in a way they really learn, don't teach traditional methods, don't expect them to memorize anything including times tables, and for the love of God make sure they all pass that damn state test!"

Well, today, I drowned.  That's right, my SCUBA tank full of ambition totally exploded today in a major crash and burn that lasted about an hour.

And now … I'm done.

Bring me the clown nose and the calliope with the monkey dancing on top.  I have joined the circus.  I'm like Mr. Dark's Pandemonium Carnival parade in Something Wicked This Way Comes. I have traded my sanity for the dream of complacency.  My brain has been infected and an alien, mindless automaton has taken its place.

Grades close soon, but until they do, my classes are going to play games and run wild and sign our names to things and do word searches and color pictures and make nose pinchers and throw paper snowballs and pretend we actually have a curriculum to finish.  I will be happy.  I will be compliant.  I will smile my plastic, etched-on smile.

I have been invaded by the anti-achievement spores, and I am Matthew Bennell (Sutherland), and my colleagues who are still left standing next to the Kool-Aid with full but untouched cups are the few Elizabeth Driscolls (Brooke Adams) left. 

I'm sorry, my dear but gullible friends; I am too tired to fight it any longer.  My brain has been snatched.  I cannot give a shit anymore.