Friday, June 7, 2013

LUNCH DETENTION DEBACLE ... OR HOW I FELT LIKE A ROCK STAR



I find out from my homeroom that the entire grade is being punished for talking at lunch.

Well, that's their story.

Turns out they're actually screaming at lunch and generally causing mayhem, therefore the administration has set up a seating arrangement as punishment.  The students explain to me that they're assigned to tables by homeroom.  While telling me this, they high-five each other and whoop and holler and dance in classroom the aisles. 

At first I think they're celebrating their incarceration, perhaps a retaliatory reaction much like laughing in the face of danger.  But truly and deeply I know better.  My homeroom is a regiment of two dozen whackos, close-knit compadres who fight like siblings and operate like a Spartan military unit.  In short, they are an inseparable band of the merriest misfits this side of Sherwood Forest.

I've had some memorable homerooms over the years -- the kids who made me a scrapbook and threw me a party, the ones who wrote me comments and framed the paper for me to hang on my wall, and the ones who created their own theme song for field day.  I've also had some duds, like the homeroom kids who collectively took over two hours to master locker combinations, and the homeroom with the school's infamous Mad Bomber. 

But these kids, this year, this homeroom -- they're different.  They genuinely seem to like one another, for the most part, anyway.  They share stories, offer advice, challenge each other to basketball games, and will often play impromptu musical chairs when it's time for group work to make sure no one is left alone, even if it means getting up and moving and racing and resorting to mild violence (tossing notebooks off desks) to claim seats to prevent one another from being left out.  They play games with each other, work well with each other, crack jokes with each other, argue with each other, defend each other, and cooperate with each other.

I know, I know; I'm thinking the same thing:  "Aliens from another planet."

It is this brotherhood, this familiarity, that draws them to celebrate their punishment of having to sit together at lunch.  I honestly think, gauging from their reactions, that this is the greatest gift anyone has ever given them.  As a matter of fact, I suspect they secretly covet the idea because now they can ignore their friends and sit with those who matter most: each other.

In the crazy excitement that ensues, they invite me to join them for lunch.  I laugh along with them, hahahahaha, they asked the teacher to their lunch table.  Only thing is, I realize they're dead-serious; this motley collection of Fagin-mini-me's is planning where I will sit when I join them.

Holy smokes, I love these kids.

I decide to eat my lunch with the adults but watch the clock on the sly.  If I can make it down to the cafeteria after the class is seated but before the final five minutes of silence are enforced, I just might find out if they're telling the truth.  Was their invitation for real, or are these kiddos just trying to placate me into believing they're as genuine as I wish them to be?

I enter the lunch room from the stage side, spotting my students across the great hall, sitting at a long table that has my name scrawled on a piece of computer paper.  Twenty-three of twenty-four of them are there.  One of my cherubs is seated at a faraway table by himself, back to the rest of the seventh grade, banished much like the protagonist of the novel we just finished reading yesterday.

I am spotted by another homeroom, and a few students call out my name.  This alerts my homeroom, three tables away, and they stand up, wave, cheer, and nearly break out in song.  For one fleeting moment I feel like a rock star. 

I cannot believe they were serious about inviting me.  And yet … and yet … This is exactly, I mean exactly, who they are.  This is why I love these kids. 

I intend to say a quick hello and be on my way, but I am greeted with a chorus of "Sit here, no sit here, no sit HERE" as I approach.  So I do.  I sit here and then I sit there and then I sit again over yonder.  I go over to the banished boy and chat with the adult supervisor, who allows Banished Boy back into the fold after I berate him gently, wagging my finger and giving my greatest impression of the disciplinarian I'll never be.  For a minute or two, we are one, we are together, we are a homeroom united. 

Before I leave the caf, I thank them for inviting me and tease them that maybe I'll actually eat with them tomorrow, which normal students would take as a terrible threat of punishment.  But, these are not normal students:  These are my homeroom students.  They'll never be normal because they're more than that -- They are extraordinary.

Putting them together to eat is not a punishment.  The punishment will be mine on the last day of school this year when I have to set them free and watch them leave the nest to fly on to eighth grade.  I shake my head sadly even as a smile crosses my face. 

One of the adult supervisors asks me what's wrong as I pass by on my way out.

"Oh, I was just thinking how much I'm really going to miss these kids next year," I reply.

Her face registers surprise, and she crinkles her nose a bit.  "These kids?" she grins.

I nearly cannot answer her because I suddenly feel a little teary-eyed.  "Yes," I say wistfully, "these kids.  Best class I've ever had.  It's been a great year."

I mean it, too.  I know, I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again at some point, or, at least, I truly hope I will.  But there's something crazy-special about this group of rapscallions who invite me to join them for their lunch detention and manage to make it fun. 

Well, that's my story, anyway, and it's a pleasure and an honor to be able to tell it.