Wednesday, June 26, 2013

ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK



I'm having bad luck with restaurants lately -- really, really bad luck.

I order pizza from a place where I have ordered pizza for years.  One evening recently I got a shitty pizza.  Very little cheese, hardly any sauce -- a total rip-off for the price.  Cross that place off my list.  Amazing how one bad experience can make that decision for me.  Done.  Just like that, as if the pizza maker forgot to kiss my ring, they're dead to me now.

I go to eat out at a Mexican restaurant that is highly regarded.  I take my entire family to eat there, anticipating a terrific meal considering the prices and the rave reviews.  What I get is a huge bill and a meal that I take two bites of before I feel like I might vomit.  Worst.  Meal.  Ever.  I won't go back there now even if someone paid me money to do it.

We often go to a local chain restaurant, a lower-end Mexican restaurant that isn't really all that Mexican.  It's like quasi-Mexican food.  I don't know why we keep going there because every time we do go there, the service is horrible.  I guess it's all about location, location, location as its proximity to work is integral for those post-workday strategy sessions.  Truly, though, it's hard to justify a $5 Margarita that comes in a juice glass and takes fifteen minutes to make it to the table.

Subs are a staple in our house, particularly chicken cutlet with lettuce, tomato, and mayo.  We have a pizza joint that has been our sub go-to place for a long, long time.  Years and years.  I order us up a couple of those bad boys and we cannot wait to go pick them up.  When we get there fifteen minutes later, the subs still are not ready.  When we get them home, we discover why.  Someone must've left the chicken in the fry-a-lator because the chicken is so overcooked that it practically breaks off our teeth as we attempt to take bites.  Now even this place is off the table.

Sometimes when we're bored we go to a local watering hole that is considered "swanky" by town standards.  I have gotten food poisoning there twice (or general gastro-intestinal distress as a result of eating their cream-based chowders or sauces), yet I go back because that's where most people want to meet.  It's centrally located.  But it smells.  Somehow and someway this place always smells bad.  It smells like the inside of a dirty bathroom, that sharp industrial solvent smell.  The service is always spotty, but we usually start at the bar.  Today we start at a table.  And this is the beginning of the end for this place, too.

You see, as soon as we sit down, we are greeted by semi-clean utensils.  I order ice water with lemon to start and receive tap water sans anything but a straw stuck into it.  It takes the waitress about twelve minutes to acknowledge us, and once we order food, it takes her another ten minutes to bring over our beer.  I guess pouring from the tap must be an extremely difficult and complicated task.  Alas, the beer arrives semi-warm.

Two older women are seated immediately behind us in a booth.  While they are deciding what to order for lunch, their waiter brings them each glasses of ice cold water -- garnished with lemon.

"Hey," I say loudly and to no one in particular, "they got lemon in their water!"

My friend nods, acknowledging the obvious faux pas.  We chat for a moment when all of a sudden the women behind us call over a waiter and exclaim, "There must be a mistake.  Our waters have (wait for it wait for it wait for it….) LEMON WEDGES IN THEM!"

"Hey," I say loudly and to no one in particular, but the rest of my sentence never comes out.  My friend and I begin laughing about the lemon.  The waitress we have totally sucks, and it takes forever to get a second round.

So now this place, like the rest before it, will be put onto the chopping block.

I also suppose the obvious solution:  Maybe, just maybe, I should be cooking my own damn dinners.