Tuesday, June 4, 2013

HALOGEN HELL



Maybe it's me.

I'm certain it's got to be just me.

When I arrive at work Monday, my classroom, though locked up tight all weekend, smells like exhaust.  Some kind of machinery is running right outside my window.  I can hear it; I just can't see it.  

The heavy equipment is operating far from the building.  There are men standing around in trenches that look like future mass graves.  There's rebar everywhere.  But I cannot figure out what is causing the noise directly beyond the plexi-glass.

I cannot possibly go one more day without opening the windows.  Sometimes the smell inside dissipates when I let air circulate, so I do what any abnormal person would do:  I open the windows despite the clamor from the vicinity.

What I get instead of fresh air is a rush of diesel fumes so intense that it causes people walking in the hallway to gasp.

I cannot do this.  Really, I cannot.  I leave the building most days with a headache so intense and nausea so severe that I don't fully recover until the following Sunday evening when I've been away from the construction for two days.  I might be able to repeat the mantra "Progress matters … progress matters…" but today the fumes are so intense that I'm not sure I'll be coherent by homeroom attendance.

I drag the vice principal to my room.  He and I look outside, trying desperately to figure out from where the stench is coming.  The only equipment close to my room is a set of night lights, those huge-ass halogens, all folded up and turned off.  After a little bit of detective work, we discover that the generator for the lights is running. 

Now, I'm not an overly intelligent woman, and sometimes I lack the common sense it takes to come in out of the rain, but even I know that the lights only need a generator when they are actually TURNED ON … which they are not.  So WTF with wasting the taxpayers' money and my brain cells?

The VP manages to reach the site manager who instructs the workers to shut off the generator that is blowing exhaust fumes directly in my window, gassing us all like mass murderers on Death Row.  By third period, my senses have returned.  By noontime, the weather has finally broken, the humidity begins to lift, and it is downright pleasant in my classroom.  There are no diesel fumes, no workers cussing, and no heavy equipment threatening to knock down the cinderblock wall that separates me from the mud hole of progress.  I'm truly fascinated watching the new school go up inches from my windows, but I'd prefer to do it with a large part of my cerebral cortex intact. 

So here's the fun fact for today: If the job site is just steel beams and girders right now, and the workers all break site around the same time I do, roughly 3:30, then why do they need the halogen lights? And why is the generator running as if someone had been there on a Sunday night working for double-OT and never bothered to shut it down?

Either I'm completely insane, or I've been sentenced to Halogen Hell.

At this point, either option is viable.

Maybe it's me.

I'm just sayin'.