Tuesday, April 2, 2013

WEATHER RAIN, OR WEATHER SNOW



Ahhhh, New England weather.

It's reasonably nice today -- a little overcast but warm, about 60 degrees.  I go to the store because it has been weeks since I did a decent shopping trip.  When I come out of the store, the sky has turned an ominous shade of bruise: blue, gray, black, and green.  I load the groceries into the back, return the cart to the building, and start for the driver's side of my car. 

Without any warning beyond the sky color, a gust of wind grips the parking lot, rolling across like a tsunami, sending errant carts flying, creating dirt devils of sand along the tar, and dropping the temperature about fifteen degrees in an instant.  The wind blows my door open, which is fine because the person who parked next to me had the brains to give me a wide berth, and my sweater flaps around behind me like loose skin gone rogue.

I am not in the car five seconds when it starts to rain, small drops at first.  By the time I'm out of the lot and on the main drag, the drops are the size of strawberries, splatting against the windshield at nearly sideways angles, and making big plops against the glass as the wipers attempt to keep pace.  It's pouring and squalling and the temperature continues to fall.

On the way home, I pass people walking with babies in carriages, college students with arms full of packages, a woman leaving the library wearing a summer t-shirt, and a man riding his bicycle.  All of these people fall victim to the sudden storm's angry turn.  Though the rain is intense, it is also brief, less than ten minutes.  The sun recovers; the air never does.  While I unload the car, the wind is whipping across the patio and my sweater is no longer enough protection to ward off the shivering chill. 

I turn on the news and discover it is snowing in the western half of the state.  Of course it is.  It was just short-sleeve weather and now it's time to take out the snowshoes again.  Oh, who am I kidding?  This is New England.  We never put the damn snowshoes away in the first place; that doesn't happen until mid-June, if at all.

I laugh when people say it's tough to travel between warm and cold climates because it may be sub-zero at
one's starting destination and boiling hot at the ending destination, as if catching pneumonia is inevitable.

Ridiculous.

That's just a normal spring (or fall) day for us:  heat blasting in the morning; air conditioner blasting in the afternoon.  Hasn't killed that many of us yet.  There's a reason we New Englanders are referred to as hardy.  Of course, we're also referred to as wicked insane.  We can't help ourselves; we're bred for extremes.

We're similar to the weather like that.