Thursday, April 18, 2013

PARKING IN ISTANBUL ... AND OTHER ODDITIES



I am geometrically challenged.  I know this; I accept it.  I cannot find my own way out of a paper bag.  If I were in a round room, I would get stuck in a corner.  My sense of direction is the worst on the planet, I cannot retrace my own steps, and I cannot follow the simplest of directions without creating the wrong driving shape on the map.

For instance, I have to go to a local university for a lacrosse game. 

This should be an easy shot.  It's one turn off the highway.  Honestly, I shouldn't have any trouble following Trapelo Road, which is an exit off route 128, and taking one simple turn onto Forest Street.  After all, I see the fields on the map.  It's a no-brainer.

Until I arrive at the fields and discover that, despite the address and the proximity to the college, these fields are not connected to the school.  Pissah. 

So I head further down the road and pull into the actual college.  I see a campus map and stop to read it.  Problem is, there are no sports fields listed on that thing, either.  I start driving through the campus that is, apparently, built on a mountain.  I wind around buildings, going down and down and down.  I feel like one of Maria's goats from her lonely herd, and I suddenly want to sing songs from The Sound of Music. 

After circling (or it could've be triangulating or maybe even quadralateralling) the entire campus, I ask two nice young women where their sports fields are.

"Are you here for the lacrosse game?"

I smile, suddenly hopeful, and respond, "Yes, I am."

"Well, you see where that cop car is?  Turn right there, go down the steep hill, then pull straight across the road and park.  After that, you can … oh, you could also turn at the light, go down the street, turn again, then turn again, then turn again, and attempt to maybe find the back parking lot to the athletic center…"

Nice girl, but I lost her somewhere around New Jersey.

I make it down the steep incline, wondering how in the hell anyone can survive driving or even walking this campus when it snows.  One could start at the top of the campus and slide into the road three streets away simply from the pitch of the cliff on which the campus sits.  I discover that the lacrosse field is behind several other fields, and that there is no place to park that is even remotely near the place.  After ending up at several dead-ends, I find a parking space near some distant tennis courts, which is about as close to the field as Istanbul.


After trekking across the Great Divide, I arrive at the field.  Only "field" is not quite the correct term.  I am appalled to discover that this extremely expensive, DII school has the world's oldest astro-turf surface.  As a matter of fact, it's a rug with some kind of springy foam under it.  The boys cannot even wear cleats.  Lacrosse balls are bouncing everywhere and the game resembles ping pong more than anything else.  The only "field" I've seen that was worse was in Worcester, and the surface was a semi-tar/plastic combination that was better suited to tennis and chariot racing than turf sports.  I ponder the incredible juxtaposition of this gorgeously built school, with its fancy buildings and its elaborate road system and its high tuition, and this absolutely perplexing excuse for a sports field.

The only thing more perplexing is where the team's bus parked.  Apparently it's down and around behind the field house building.  Problem is, locked gates are everywhere, and it's a mystery as to how to get to the parking lot where I am supposed to meet the bus to deliver goodies for after the game.  As soon as the game ends, without even saying hello to my kid, another parent offers to drive with me to the parking lot.  Somehow she has managed to find it.

We trek back to my car, which requires several rest stops and a Sherpa.  Once located, we climb in and begin the trip that should be two lefts.  Simple.  Even I cannot screw up two lefts.

Once we start driving, though, it becomes evident that this is not going to be an easy task.  We turn left, which means we are driving away from the field.  This sort of makes sense … until we go two streets away to the next light.  This seems too far away.  Then there's another left.  Then a right, then a left and a right, then a right around a building and then, finally, another left into a back lot.  There are multiple dead-ends on our way to the back lot, and I realize as I park the car that I am craving cheese … not because I am particularly hungry but because I suddenly feel like a mouse in a maze.

Listen up.  If you're going to charge the actual shirts off people's backs to send their teenagers to your school, you may want to make it, oh, I don't know, more maneuverable, more user-friendly, and maybe put down some decent astro-turf that wasn't installed when these students' grandparents were attending classes there.

That's just my random thought process.  I mean, first of all, if a school has a map for drivers to stop and look at, it should probably include the sports complex.  Secondly, if there is parking (or something resembling it), it should be easier to find than going in a convoluted octagonal serpentine design when the field is directly behind where you start.  Lastly, if your school is going to be built on the side of the Matterhorn, make sure all your students can sing "High on a hill was the lonely goat herd." 

You know, just in case.